Germany / DACH Region Business Development Manager
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time
- North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW) Germany, South West Germany
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, water, waste, air quality, environmental, chemical risk and crisis management and business continuity expertise with strong IT and economics capability.
Within the R:EE business, we operate the The National Chemical Emergency Centre (NCEC), which was founded over 46 years ago. NCEC is the market leading provider of chemical emergency response services globally, dealing with over 8,000 emergency calls a year on behalf of over 600 companies, including ~50% of the largest chemical manufacturers in the world. We are recognised by our clients, the industry and our peers as being the premium provider of response services and were approached by clients to support them with telephony-based solutions to meet their wider crisis incident needs several year ago.
Alongside our emergency response pedigree, we have a significant customer base focusing on areas like REACH (and similar inventory regulations), GHS and CLP (including European poison centres) and wider consultancy. We also have built a crisis and business continuity consultancy offering onto our wider incident response experience, which has resulted in recently wins including large and exciting Government, private sector and public sector contracts. We have continued to demonstrate strong year on year growth, and we well placed for substantial growth over the coming years.
To support this growth, we are looking to recruit a dedicated, native German speaking sales and business development resource for the DACH region (Austria, Germany, and Switzerland), a key market and growth area for the business. You will be responsible for the market as a whole, contributing to and implementing the ‘go to market’ strategy for the region, crafting tactical sales plans, taking our proposition into the market and achieving sales orders for these services. The key purpose is to expand our customer base within DACH’ markets for all our main product areas, but with a key focus on emergency response. You will also be responsible for working with our in-country reseller and supporting them achieve their objectives.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone looking to develop their career with progression potential for a high performer. Working for our Sales & Client Director, and closely with our business area delivery teams you will benefit from developing under the guidance, skills and experience of our team. You will have autonomy to determine your own focus and areas of activity with our support.
The role offers good levels of autonomy, freedom and “ownership” of the plan for growth. You will be supported by our proactive and effective marketing team and have access to dedicated calling resource, but you will also be expected to undertake high levels of your own outbound activity – calls, event attendance, meetings, etc. Whilst intense travel is not expected, there will be the requirement to travel regularly to client meetings and to attend events and trade shows.
Although experience in the chemical safety, regulations or emergency response is desirable, Ricardo will work with any successful candidate to develop the necessary knowledge and terminology. As such, a candidate with experience in sales and taking a DACH region specific approach to the market as part of an end to end sales plan will be considered.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of establishing strong prospect relationships to generate well qualified sales leads that will progress and managing opportunities through the entire sales cycle through to securing a profitable order (demonstrable with key performance metrics at interview). You will have the ability to understand and explain our services to regulatory and risk focused personnel and C-level decision makers, and develop compelling solutions tailored to their needs. You will also need to quickly understand and be able to ‘sell’ our emergency response service alongside our consultancy offerings.
Developing new customers
- Design and implement a sales plan that expands the NCEC customer base into the DACH market, based on your experiences within the region, and maximises and maintains a strong market presence.
- Hit sales targets by successfully presenting the sales propositions to the market, steering the work of the marketing team, generating leads, and managing prospects through the sales cycle.
- Set the foundations for strong, long-lasting customer relationships by careful understanding their needs and aligning our services through a consultative approach.
- Creating and/or sharing information with clients, such as white papers, technical knowledge and insight.
- Defining bespoke sales campaign activity alongside the sales leadership team.
- Support our German based reseller in approaching their market and achieving their growth objectives.
Management of sales funnel and activity.
- Proactively creating and managing a funnel of ~50 across the year opportunities, achieving 75% forecasting accuracy, which will be required to achieve orders performance.
- Optimising the use of a range of tools and techniques to ensure the consistency and professionalism of the day-to-day activities lead to positive results in the achievement of our goals.
- To deliver high levels of outbound calling and discipline, alongside face-to-face meetings to maximise sales targets.
- Liaising with marketing and sales personnel to ensure effective promotion of our capabilities in support of sales activities to grow our accounts.
- Liaising with the product owners to develop the product and related services
- Identifying and communicating intelligence on market requirements, competitor activity and opportunities.
- Creating profitable customer solutions.
Key competencies, experience, skills and behaviours:
- Native / Fluent German language speaker with experience developing and implementing sales plans and tactics within the German market
- Demonstrable experience and track record in new business development (and associated high levels of supporting activity).
- Experience within the chemical regulatory sector desirable but not essential.
- Proven ability in effective planning of campaign activity or sales strategy.
- Positive engagement with customers, partners and colleagues in pursuit of successful sales outcomes.
- Experience managing channel or reseller partners desirable.
- Ability to balance the knowledge of client future requirements with appreciation of market trends, business strategy and the need for contracts to generate profit and establish successful long-term relationships.
- High levels of drive and commitment no matter what the challenge.
- Be a self-starter, problem solver with the ability to make ideas reality.
- Have the confidence and self-assurance in your ability to be fully prepared for any sales opportunity and/or challenge.
- Be an excellent communicator and presenter to build rapport and strategic client relationships as well as excellent engagement with colleagues to optimize effective team dynamics and support.
There is considerable potential to earn your On Target Earnings in this risk driven sector, with a commission based uncapped bonus scheme.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.