- Role type
- Closing Date
Position Title: Commercial Manager (Ricardo Rail UK)
Location: Any Ricardo Rail UK Office
We are seeking an experienced Commercial Manager to work within our commercial team and alongside business development teams, Business Managers, legal team and project managers to provide commercial support across the project life-cycle. This is a fast-paced and challenging environment, offering you the exciting opportunity to work in support of a range of interesting and diverse technical disciplines and to contribute to a growing international consultancy. Good risk management of its commercial activities is at the heart of any business and this role will give you the opportunity to contribute to this key area.
The primary part of the role will be to facilitate advice, review and negotiate contracting terms and conditions, and to provide commercial input to the management of UK and global tenders and contracts along with project commercial support for ongoing projects and day to day operational matters.
The role will also provide support and direction to the company on procurement, tendering, marketing, supply chain management (EMEA), customer satisfaction, as well as general commercial support to the business. Management and direction of internal stakeholders working in these areas will be required.
The Commercial Manager provides commercial support and expertise throughout the business, ensuring that the financial and commercial interests of the Business are optimised, contractual obligations are met, internal governance is adhered to and associated risks are highlighted and actively managed.
Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Working with the in-house legal team. Review and negotiate the contractual commitments of the business: T&C, subcontract agreements, NDA, MOU and Consortium agreements.
- As an integral member of the commercial team, provide commercial and contractual advice in the preparation of expressions of interest, tender submissions and other proposals to both private sector as well as public sector clients.
- Ensure the commercial arrangements of all sales contracts maximise rewards with an appropriate balance of risk.
- Provide guidance on all commercial aspects of new business development opportunities from inception through to successful delivery.
- Responsible for all aspects of contract management throughout the project life-cycle, including supporting contractual and commercial discussions with internal and external stakeholders.
- Contribute to driving best practice/continuous improvement initiatives within the commercial function. Support development and delivery of commercial training.
- Identify, suggest and assist managers with implementing change and developments to commercial processes and procedures to meet future business demands and improve current efficiency.
- Contribute to internal guidance and policy documentation on commercial issues.
- Ensure documentation/data/information and tasks are planned, evaluated and processed in accordance with local business requirements, Governance and agreed deadlines.
- Ensure that activities within their area of control are carried out in line with internal Governance procedures and contractual requirements.
- Management of purchasing process, subcontractors and set-up of new suppliers under the internal systems.
Qualifications / Experience/ Skills:
The ideal candidate will have experience of commercial contract management and negotiation, with proven ability to work with a high degree of independence.
- Legal, business or purchasing qualification.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office programmes.
- Ability to use business systems (CRM, SharePoint).
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels (including internal and external stakeholders).
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment and manage other staff across department boundaries.
- A sound working knowledge of commercial contract law. Previous experience with public procurement is advantageous, but not essential.
- High levels of written, negotiation, and problem-solving skills
- Fluency in a second language is a plus but not essential
- Strong management and organisational skills, attention to detail
What we offer:
- An interesting and varied role within an expanding international company
- A tailored benefits package, flexible working arrangements along with excellent training, development and promotional opportunities for the right person.
- Salary of circa £45,000 dependant on experience
Ricardo is a global strategic, technical and environmental consultancy and specialist niche manufacturer of high performance products. We also provide independent assurance services in the rail sector. With a century of delivering excellence and innovation, we employ over 2,500 professional engineers, consultants and scientists world-wide.
Our activities cover a range of market sectors including passenger car, commercial vehicle, rail, defence, motorsport, motorcycle, off-highway, marine, clean energy and power generation.
Our client list includes the world’s major transportation original equipment manufacturers, supply chain organisations, energy companies, financial institutions and government agencies.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
Ricardo Rail is a global multi-disciplinary rail consultancy providing services in expert advice and independent assurance across the UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia where we employ c600 consultants working on infrastructure, rolling stock and independent assurance projects.
Our UK Rail business employs c90 consultants in offices in London, Preston, York, Bristol and Derby, which is our head office.
We provide consultancy and independent assurance services, including NoBo, DeBo, AsBo and ISA, across infrastructure and rolling stock to clients including infrastructure managers, train manufacturers, equipment manufacturers and maintainers.
Our shared goal is to be the natural choice provider of expert advice and independent assurance services to the global rail industry. Care, integrity and excellence will always drive our long-term relationships with clients and colleagues.