Principal Consultant - Environmental Policy
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Home based, London, Madrid, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
Role Title: Principal Consultant –Environmental Policy
Salary range: £ 45,000 – 60,000 (depending on experience)
Location: UK : London, Harwell (Oxford), Manchester, Spain (Madrid), Homebased
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, environmental, climate change and chemical risk expertise with strong IT, data science and economics capability. Ricardo is held in very high regard by our clients for the in-depth sector insight we demonstrate, our passion for delivering quality, and our reputation for producing innovative solutions. We are acutely aware of the importance of our role in safeguarding and enhancing our environment and fully believe in our mission to create a world fit for the future.
The Environmental Policy team at Ricardo works in partnership with governmental and private sector organisations on the development, implementation and evaluation of environmental policies, strategies and plans. The team predominately supports public sector clients such as national Governments, the European Commission and international bodies (e.g. the World Bank), as well as working for private sector clients. We deliver high-profile studies in areas that include industrial pollution control, water, air quality, chemicals management, climate adaptation, sustainable finance and the circular economy policies.
In response to our recent successes we are expanding our Environmental Policy team and have a vacancy for a Principal Consultant with excellent business development and project management skills, preferably for the European Commission or other similar clients. Existing track record in at least one of the above environmental policy areas is essential and coverage of more topics will be advantageous. Your work will involve technical delivery, project management and business development activities including competitive bidding, client and partner relationship management and participation in promotional events. You will work flexibly within Ricardo Energy & Environment’s consultancy business, collaborating with specialists in various environmental disciplines.
Working in international, multi-disciplinary teams, you will help to win, manage and deliver high profile projects that play an integral role in driving regulatory approaches in the UK, Europe and worldwide. You will be able to lead and write high quality proposals for customers and contribute to other business development. You will be project managing the studies and additionally your involvement in projects may include providing technical input; policy development and implementation analysis; evaluating existing policy and technical measures; supporting cost-benefit analyses and carrying out stakeholder consultations. You will also have opportunity to support the development of more junior colleagues.
Required competencies and experience:
- Qualified to Master’s degree level in environmental policy, science, engineering, law, economics, social sciences or a closely related subject
- Experience working within multidisciplinary teams and managing complex projects for the public sector (e.g. European Commission, UK Government) and/or other clients (e.g. World Bank, GIZ, EBRD, Asian Development Bank)
- Experience directing business development and/or bid writing in a consultancy environment.
- Knowledge and experience working on environmental legislation and strategies in Europe relating to industrial pollution control, water policy, air quality, chemicals management, climate adaptation, sustainable finance and/or the circular economy. Knowledge and experience in more than one of these policy areas will be advantageous.
- Familiarity with the process of policy development and implementation, evaluation of technical and policy measures, cost-benefit analysis, data collection, validation and interpretation.
- The ability to interact with policy makers at national and/or international level.
- Excellent written and spoken English; fluency in other European languages will be advantageous.
Required skills and behaviours:
- Project management, with high level of commercial awareness and appreciation for project financial management principles.
- Business development
- Strong oral and written communication, including concise and precise report writing.
- Leadership and influencing
- Analytical, problem solving and creative thinking
- Good team worker and experienced delegator
- Flexibility, resilience and enthusiasm
This is a stimulating, exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our people. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our people are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.