Project Manager Regulatory Consultancy
- Role type
- Full time, Part time
- Flexible, Home based, London, Manchester
- Closing Date
The National Chemical Emergency Centre (NCEC), founded over 40 years ago, is the market leading provider of chemical emergency response services globally, dealing with over 4,000 emergency calls a year on behalf of over 600 companies, including 50% of the largest chemical manufacturers in the world. We are recognised by our clients, the industry and our peers as being the premium provider of these services, and our reputation is based on the outstanding level of knowledge and technical expertise of our emergency response team.
Alongside the emergency response services, we also offer a range of regulatory compliance services (including REACH registration and representation, authorisation and evaluation, technical document authoring (SDS, etc.)), software packages for managing SDS and chemicals, as well as training. This role is to join the regulatory team as a project manager working on a range of client services.
Today NCEC is part of Ricardo PLC’s subsidiary company, Ricardo Energy & Environment; a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, air quality, transport, water, environmental and our chemical risk expertise with strong marketing, IT and economics capability.
One of our fastest growing areas is our chemical regulatory consultancy. Including our Poison Centre compliance related to Article 45 of CLP. NCEC is seen as experts in this field in the market for a number of years and have now conducted 1000’s of notifications for a growing number of customers. We have work to deliver and an excellent pipeline of opportunities and are looking for the right person to come and support our leadership team in project managing work in this and other regulatory areas. This is an exciting opportunity for the right individual to come and make an impact in an important area of our business which has had over 5 years of strong growth which will continue with future regulatory driven activity. Alongside the Poison Centres team we have UK REACH, a Safety Data Sheet authoring team and a wider Environmental Chemistry and Toxicology teams.
- The project manager will be responsible for overseeing delivery across several work streams with specific responsibility for certain areas or projects. Planning and organising the team to deliver high quality outputs for our customers. The role includes;
- Excellent project management and customer management skills, allowing you to manage our clients proactively, delivering excellence and winning repeat business
- Great communications skills – happy presenting our technical expertise at a high level to our clients, summarising activity of the technical team. Within the business you will keep the wider team and stakeholders up-to-speed with progress seeking support and guidance as required
- A great team leader – able to motivate those around you to deliver to our external customers (and internal ones)
- Gaining a high level understanding the chemical regulatory landscape so you can place all your work in context and communicate to our clients and teams effectively
The Project manager will report directly to one of the Business Area senior managers. You will work closely with other senior managers and technical experts in the team and will have responsibilities including the following:
- Working on bidding and delivering projects – including proposal writing, costing projects etc
- Ensuring projects are managed to time and budget
- Ensuring project administration and quality assurance (QA) documents and processes are followed
- Following internal procedures to set up and coordinate work carried out by sub-contractors;
- Coordinating activities with the project team
- Liaising regularly and proactively with customers
- Drafting regular update reports for clients, writing or being accountable for deliverables;
- Receiving customer feedback and making improvements as required to programme or internal processes based on the feedback
Key competencies and experience:
- Have an extensive background in project and programme management with 5+ years of experience, ideally in a consultancy setting with clear project management qualifications and a lifelong interest in constantly improving in this area.
- Experience of managing people as a team leader or line manager. He role will have 6-8 direct reports whose work you will co-ordinate and manage on a daily basis
- Have outstanding, planning, organisation, delegation and communication skills – to be tested through the interview process
- Contribute ideas to the development of business strategy with respect to regulatory consultancy
- Be a good communicator
- Have the ability to manage and influence people effectively working closely with customers and wider stakeholders to deliver excellent customer outcomes
- Ideally you will work in the chemical regulatory or chemicals sector
Skills and behaviours:
The successful candidate will:
- Be a team player able to work with and influence a wide range of stakeholders both inside and outside of the organisation;
- Be comfortable working on a variety of tasks and different projects in a fast-paced consultancy environment;
- Develop sufficient knowledge of the technical area and programme/project processes within our consultancy business to be able to propose and implement operational improvements in these areas in the regulatory consultancy team
- Be a leader, team worker who is willing and able to get involved in supporting colleagues on a range of activities to ensure successful delivery;
- Embrace Ricardo’s values of Passion, Innovation, Integrity and Respect, working with others towards ensuring high standards of behaviour and performance.
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference in the world. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring and coaching opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, careers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this message by our CEO.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.