Business Development Manager: Local Energy Systems
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Part time
- Bristol, Flexible, Home based, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
- Closing Date
Business Development Manager: Local Energy Systems
Salary £44,000 - £60,000
Location: Harwell / London / Manchester/ Bristol / flexible
Do you want to work for a leading international sustainability consultancy in a growing team?
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a global sustainability consultancy, core to Ricardo Group’s vision of creating a world fit for the future. Our mission is to solve the world’s most pressing energy and environmental challenges, which drives everyone in the company. To achieve this, we combine world-leading energy, climate change and environmental expertise with powerful power systems engineering, IT, knowledge management and economics capabilities. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Our business consists of a team of over 550 consultancy staff and we work globally for local and national governments, international agencies, infrastructure operators, regulators and commercial organisations as a leading provider of analysis, advice and sustainable solutions. We support clients from the development of a strategy, through to the implementation of measures to reduce the impact they have on the environment. We have a track record in leading and delivering major multi-partner transnational programmes.
We know we can bring about positive sustainable change and are looking for someone equally driven to deliver our vision.
The Sustainable Infrastructure & Operations (SI&O) Business Unit (BUs)
The BU’s focus is the decarbonisation of energy, heat, power and transport, supporting the net zero and low carbon agendas. SI&O is made up of ~220 people covering a range of disciplines from the inception of an idea through to the delivery of change. We work with our clients across their full value chain, with an increasing focus at the ‘implementation’ end of the value chain. In the last year we have successfully delivered some influential pieces of work, including cross sector net zero strategies that have set the roadmap for change that is taking place across these sectors. Our clients come back to us again and again for our best in class service in delivering net zero aspirations. Key sectors we operate in include public sector estate, aviation, NHS, food and drink, commercial services, water, power generation and smart networks.
Our services include; net zero strategies, life cycle assessment, circular economy advice technology development and techno-economic studies, technical auditing, regulatory development, smart grid solutions, carbon management, developing and optimising local energy systems. Increasingly the value we bring is combining these services to deliver real change within a country, sector, region or company.
The role sits within our ‘sustainability’ business area in SI&O; a core area for our future growth. We have wider capability in waste, low carbon transport, air quality, EIA and more across the BU and business as a whole, making it possible for us to offer broad services to our clients delivered by teams with deep technical expertise – making this an incredibly interesting and exciting place to work. It is an exciting opportunity for a business development manager who understands the impact net zero is having on the market and is able to work with clients to develop new opportunities.
We are seeking a Business Development Manager with proven experience in:
- Finding and winning consultancy opportunities developing new services for current clients and expanding the offer of current services to new clients
- Delivering year on year improvements in revenue in a consultancy
- Working collaboratively with industry partners to develop new offers to the market
- Understanding the impacts of evolving changes in the UK energy and carbon market, and reacting to market needs
- Working with a delivery team to ensure continued delivery of best in class service
- Working with a wider business development team to support new opportunities across different business areas and different international markets.
You will be responsible for supporting the development of our Local Energy Systems business sector. Leveraging the experience and expertise of Ricardo Energy & Environment.
You will lead and be involved in networking, developing leads and winning new business with private and public sector customers. The role will involve creating and supporting campaigns and marketing initiatives, developing propositions and tailoring these for specific private sector markets. As well as identifying requirements for new services within the market, the individual will be responsible for their own direct sales to new customers, identifying opportunities writing proposals and developing senior level customer relations with an environmental and energy focus.
This is an exciting opportunity for a professional and consultative business development individual looking to enhance their skills further within an innovative and fast paced environmental consultancy business and make a significant impact on the UKs net zero goals.
- The successful candidate will have a proven track record of identifying and converting market opportunities to profitable sales of consulting services. The candidate will have the ability to understand and explain our services to key decision makers and stakeholders, and develop compelling solutions tailored to their needs.
- Design and implement a sales plan with the Head of LES and Business Area Head for Sustainability.
- Establish and maintain existing relationships at senior levels within the target customer base.
- Establish internal relationships with consultants across Ricardo.
- Work closely with the Business Areas to ensure clear communication of customer requirements and match this to implementation capacity.
- Contribute to identifying new offerings and market requirements that the business can develop and sell to existing or new customers through established or new channels.
- Maintain the Ricardo premium brand and strong track record of delivering customer excellence.
- Identifying and communicating intelligence on market requirements and opportunities.
- Creating profitable customer solutions.
- Proactive management of sales funnel and activity.
- This is an exciting opportunity for a professional and consultative business development individual looking to enhance their skills further within a rewarding and fast paced environmental consultancy business to make a lasting change to the UKs carbon emissions.
Key competencies and experience:
- Candidates will have a technical or business background with over 8 years’ relevant experience covering some or all of these areas:
- A detailed knowledge and understanding of the UK energy & environment sector.
- Relevant experience in energy systems infrastructure relating to technical advisory, engineering and project management consultancy.
- Practical experience of implementing low carbon energy systems projects, delivering new assets for private and public sector clients.
- Proven experience/ability in new business development/generation.
- The ability to demonstrate strong pipeline management with strong commercial acumen in order to generate and close business.
- Professional business manner and working practice, able to set an example for colleagues.
- Capability and willingness to be self-sufficient in prospect generation, with support from the wider team, including marketing to supplement their own activity.
- Positive engagement with customers, partners and colleagues in pursuit of successful sales outcomes.
- You will be self-starter, problem solver with the ability to turn ideas into reality.
- Ability to network successfully within the organisation, to make connections with key resources and experts across the business to achieve their business development objectives.
In our sustainability team we really enjoy the great work we do, so we will be looking for someone with a similar attitude – enthusiastic, committed, responsible, open and reliable.
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference in the world. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of project, mentoring and coaching opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, careers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance Programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach .
We would consider applicants for this post on a full time or part time basis, with the option of periodic homeworking. The role will demand both UK and international travel.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.