Water Quality Consultant
- Role type
- Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Flexible, Home based
- Closing Date
Salary: £26,800 - £32,000.
If you are familiar with the Environmental Sector, then chances are you have heard of us. We are extremely proud of what we do - we help our clients solve some of the world’s most complex environmental challenges and provide governments, public agencies and businesses with leading analysis, advice and data. What sets us apart is our people. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. In a recent survey 93% of employees felt that collectively, everybody was committed to producing quality work. Our values include innovation, integrity, passion and respect and our employees demonstrate these every day.
We care about our staff and take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals. These include flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance Programme. Learning and Development of our employees is also important to us, therefore we offer all employees a personal Learning and Development plan which includes supporting you work toward or maintaining chartered status or membership to a relevant professional body.
The successful candidate will be working within the Evidence and Policy sector of our business with a strong link with the Water and Environment part of that team where we support water companies, regulators and council’s to better understand the linkages between water quality and quantity changes (e.g. abstraction, climate change, infrastructure development) and the impact these changes can have on the environment.
We are seeking an enthusiastic individual who understands the importance of water quality in the context of environmental regulatory and legislative requirements particularly in the UK. The successful candidate will be expected to have an appreciation of monitoring technologies to support programme designs and most importantly an ability to interpret water quality information for a range of clients and issues at both the local and catchment scale.
As part of this role you would need to be able to demonstrate:
- Understanding of how different land-use activities can impact water quality
- An appreciation of water quality impacts on the environment (e.g algal bloom in reservoirs and impacts on water company drinking water safety plans)
- Experience of report writing related to pollution risks and incidents identified
- Interpretation and analysis of large water quality datasets and communication of findings to internal and external stakeholders
- Understand and be able to explain the links between water quality and the environment;
- Worked across different sectors (e.g. water companies as part of Water Resource management planning and WINEP studies through to nutrient neutrality issues for councils and regulators)
You will have:
- Graduate, or preferably a post-graduate qualification in a relevant field ( water quality, catchment management, geochemistry etc.)
- Understanding of the water company sector and work experience in either a water company or water-related consultancy essential
- Catchment science and/or water quality experience (including some understanding of catchment processes and influences related to water quality)
- Experience of river water quality assessment, water quality conceptual modelling,
- Ability to apply knowledge and use your communication skills to effectively connect with a range of internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent attention to detail and highly organised
- Ability to interpret large amounts of data and organise it in a format ready to be audited
- A strong team player
- An understanding of how pollutants can impact on river and groundwater quality is preferable
- Knowledge of the regulations that apply to the water industry, specifically around drinking water safety plans
- Experience of using decision support models such as SAGIS-SIMCAT and Farmscoper would be advantageous
- Experience with QGIS is desirable;
- A full driving licence
What we offer
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this message by our CEO.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.
If you require any support with your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.