Power Electronics Engineer - Electrical
- Role type
Van Buren, MI
- Utilizing state of the art tools, design, develop, and test power electronics products for future electrified systems, including: AC/DC, DC/DC converters, Chargers, DC/AC, inverters, EMI filters, bus bar specifications and all related internal components.
- PCBA Circuit Simulation, Schematics, Layout, and Design Review experience
- Work collaboratively with the Systems, Software/Controls, and Mechanical teams to ensure successful product development.
- Decompose system level requirements to drive component level design requirements.
- Work on a modular and scalable architecture that can be applied across a range of low-voltage and high-voltage electrified systems.
- Responsible for the specification, design, development, testing & validation of power electronics for global electrified applications. This role can include bespoke designs, upgrade of existing designs, and applications engineering
- Utilize individual and group design, drawing, specification and code reviews to demonstrate and drive the application of robust technical fundamentals to optimize system performance, quality, DFM/DFA and cost.
- Conduct root cause analysis and support troubleshooting in multiple formats (8D, etc).
- Ability to review existing component and system designs to determine if they are adequate for use in multiple applications or if there is opportunity to improve on the existing design for upgraded performance.
- Creativity and innovative ideas for complex system and component challenges.
- Understanding of global industry standards and trends to provide the latest technology solutions.
- Leverage extensive product development assets including team members, test labs, and expert product development capabilities to deliver best-in-class performance, usability and quality.
- Work collaboratively across the North American and Global Ricardo group as well customers locally and internationally.
- Other duties as required
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering
- 1-3+ years’ experience in high-voltage power electronics design, development and testing – DC/AC Inverters, DCDC Converters, On-Board Chargers, Power Distribution in Automotive, On/Off-Highway, Motorsports, Stationary etc.
- Strong communication, client awareness, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to create a project plan that establishes resources (human, capitol, and outsource), effort, duration costs.
- Experienced in developing and maintaining supplier relationships.
- Highly motivated to succeed, a self-starter who is driven and able to work with others effectively to "get things done"
- Extremely high attention to detail in all aspects of task execution
- Experience working with 48V, 400V, and >800V voltage levels and component selections.
- Hands on experience in power electronics hardware development including design, debugging and validation of:
Semiconductor switching waveforms, loss modeling and thermal management
Protection devices and safety issues
Printed circuit board layout, interconnection, packaging, EMC and EMI
Circuit simulation and computer-aided design tools (CAD)
PCB bring-up, bench-test & troubleshooting knowledge
- Masters or PhD in relevant field and 5+ years’ experience.
- Fundamental understanding of switched-mode power conversion as applied to DC and AC circuits and systems
- Knowledgeable in IGBT, Si/SiC, and GaN MOSFET technology and selection.
- Working knowledge of IGBT/MOSFET gate drive circuits.
- Experience in analog, digital and mix signal hardware design.
- Knowledge of feedback control and stability.
- Control expertise and digital implementation for power converters controls.
- Experience with schematic capture (Altium preferred) and simulation tools (PLECS) for power electronics.
- Experience in PCB layout for power electronics (Altium preferred): minimal stray inductance, EMC/EMI optimization.
- Design for Manufacturing, Design for reliability, DFMEA and fault trees.
- Background designing for UL and CE safety requirements and EMC.