- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Oxfordshire (Harwell), Home based
- Closing Date
Role Title: DevOps Engineer
Salary range: £35-52,000 per annum
Location: Harwell (Oxfordshire), Homebased
At Ricardo Energy & Environment we help Governments and businesses across the world address environmental challenges through our world leading consultancy expertise and innovative digital solutions. We combine energy and climate change, air quality, resource efficiency, sustainable transport and chemical risk expertise with our strong IT capability.
We’ve got some ambitious growth plans and we’re looking for a talented and motivated DevOps Engineer to join our team, supporting our development, IT operations and the business with a range of important projects. This is an important role for the business, and an integral part of digital teams.
The successful DevOps Engineer will work closely with our existing DevOps and Sys Admin engineers, providing technical support for the business whilst working closely with the development and data science teams, streamlining automations and supporting our Agile development approaches. As new technologies emerge and impact our systems, our DevOps engineers have a passion for learning and understanding them, resolving issues and addressing risks. Our DevOps team provide a key link between business and technical, addressing challenges through automation, efficiency improvements and continuous integration practices.
Key competencies and experience:
- Commercial experience with containerisation (Kubernetes and Docker specifically)
- Working knowledge and experience of RedHat, Ubuntu, CentOS
- Advanced knowledge of Apache.
- Advanced knowledge of the Linux operating system.
- Continuous integration (CI/CD) and Configuration Management
- Experience implementing automated deployment processes
- Working knowledge of CDNs
- Working with and deploying software management platforms such as Jira, Gitlab
- Experience maintaining servers for standard Internet services such as DNS, NFS, DHCP, printing and FTP.
- Working on the command line
- Solid experience working with cloud infrastructure/ virtual environments
- Ability to trouble shoot website and server issues at the application and infrastructure level
Desirable competencies and experience:
- Knowledge of Shell/bash and Perl scripting.
- Understanding of PHP, MySQL, MariaDb, PostgreSQL, PostGIS, XML and HTML
- Exposure to firewall config, ideally Nginx
- Commercial experience with SSL configuration
- Commercial experience in server migrations
- Experience with GeoServer/ GeoNetworks
- Working knowledge using iSCSI
- Experience and/or knowledge of MVC frameworks including Zend, Symfony and Laravel
- Commercial exposure to Puppet/Snort/Spacewalk/Elastic Stack
- A background in UNIX OS, preferably with Linux/UNIX server administration
- Understanding of Auth0 and Active Directory
Softer Skills and behaviours:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work well within a team in a constantly changing environment.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Dependable to complete work as expected to a high standard.
- Ability and motivation to learn new technologies.
BAU tasks can include:
- Maintaining the integrity and security of servers and systems used for Ricardo Energy and Environment managed projects and services and troubleshoots networks, systems, and applications to identify and correct malfunctions and other operational problems.
- Applying patches and updates when required
- Checking logs and monitoring environments
- Monitoring and maintenance of backups
- Identifying and negating security threats
- Daily checks across a large suite of applications
- Problem resolution via ticketing system
We are a people orientated organisation and recognise the value of supporting and investing in the careers of the individuals within our teams.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are happy to discuss flexible working.