Renewable Energy Consultant
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Part time
- Bristol, Flexible, Glasgow, Guildford, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a global sustainability consultancy. We deliver cutting edge services to clients on climate change, pollution and the future of mobility, among others. Our mission is to solve the world’s most pressing energy and environmental challenges.
We are looking for a Consultant to join the Energy Practice, to support on and deliver a portfolio of exciting renewable and low carbon energy projects.
You will be joining Ricardo’s Energy Practice, a team of 65 energy specialists who work across low and zero carbon power, heat and infrastructure. We are a committed team of like-minded professionals with a growing portfolio of energy technology, policy and strategy projects. Day-to-day, this could mean:
- Working out how to deliver deep cuts in emissions from the public sector estate.
- Helping a client to navigate pathways to net zero.
- Supporting community groups to realise their local energy projects.
These are just some examples of the transformational projects we are delivering now.
You will be a consultant with a track record of energy policy, strategy and technology projects. You take responsibility for delivering to the highest standards.
You will understand how the energy system works. You have experience of the policy development process and the UK planning system.
We need an excellent communicator who can explain complex ideas. You will be confident in front of clients and your reports are clear and easy to read. You will work collaboratively with a wide range of experts from across the company and in partner organisations.
You’ll be keen to build and develop your career and we will help you develop in both technical and professional areas. Join us and be part of the transition to a low carbon energy system.
Skills and experience
You should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Professional consultancy experience, although applications from candidates with industry/corporate backgrounds are also welcome.
- The ability to breakdown complex research questions, think creatively and solve novel problems.
- Numerate and comfortable building energy and financial models in excel.
- Proposal writing and winning public and private sector energy consultancy projects would be advantageous.
- Strong communication skills with examples of your writing for different audiences.
- A strong degree in a STEM based subject or a similar qualification in energy, sustainability or planning.
In addition, we would value:
- Proven success at securing planning consent and grid connections.
- A track record of international renewable energy projects
- Familiarity with industry software packages like HomerPro, Windfarm, Helioscope and PVSol.
- Experience with Python, Matlab and GIS.
- Comfortable working in another language.
This role can be based at our Bristol, Glasgow, Guildford or Oxfordshire offices.
What we offer
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this message by our CEO.