Waste Operations Strategy and Procurement Consultants
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Bristol, Flexible, London, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
For over 40 years, Ricardo Energy & Environment’s resource efficiency and waste management specialists have worked in partnership with governments and delivery agencies, local authorities and waste management companies to deliver cost-effective solutions for resource efficiency needs. Our team has established itself at the forefront of the UK market and has developed a strong international presence.
We are now looking to appoint up to three specialists, ranging in experience and seniority, in waste management operations strategy and procurement to complement and grow our existing team. We appreciate that all applicants are unique, therefore we would seek to understand your skills, experience, career objectives and ambitions in order to define a role for you that fits within our team and overall requirements. We welcome applications from candidates with a range of backgrounds, including local government, the waste industry and consulting.
We are looking for candidates with proven experience and extensive knowledge of the waste sector to provide waste operations technical advisory support. You will deliver projects for local authority and private sector clients, from feasibility studies to contract mobilisation.
Projects are primarily in the UK, but we offer the opportunity to support our growing portfolio of international projects. You will support waste operations projects covering a range of services dependent on your experience and our requirements in a fast-paced, exciting working environment.
We would like to hear from strategy and procurement specialists and from candidates with broader experience across any of our waste operations service areas. Our range of services includes:
- waste strategy reviews and waste service master planning, including service benchmarking reviews, working with clients and their stakeholders to develop targets in consideration of current and future drivers and developing business cases and strategies for waste collection services;
- advice during all stages in the procurement of waste and recycling collection, street cleansing and grounds maintenance services and waste infrastructure, including writing procurement strategies, preparing method statements, leading dialogue or negotiation with bidders, evaluating tenders and contract negotiation; and
- reviewing and developing operating and contractual models and advising on service delivery options (e.g. in-sourcing, out-sourcing and LATCOs)
Alongside your core responsibilities, you will have opportunities to work with our enthusiastic and ambitious waste technical and circular economy teams, comprising approximately 50 specialists, supporting a diverse range of clients and projects.
You will contribute to developing new business through, for example, client relationships and responding to invitations to tender. You will have the opportunity to support the development of more junior staff and would be responsible for overseeing the quality of project deliverables
Competencies and experience:
- Ability to take responsibility for the quality of your own work and that of project delivery teams;
- Effective project management skills;
- Strong client management skills;
- Clear understanding of the waste sector, including UK policy and legislation;
- Ability to write clear, concise and accurate technical reports and manage data confidently;
- Ability to lead and prepare proposals and tenders;
- Member of a relevant professional institution e.g. Chartered Institution of Wastes Management (CIWM) or Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS);
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
Skills and behaviours:
- Receptive to new and varied challenges, and able to rise to them and to learn;
- Able to work independently and as part of a project team, irrespective of position or role on the task;
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated;
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy and quality in all work;
- Excellent report writing and bid-writing skills;
- Desire to deliver influential consultancy support to the highest standards with new and current clients Strong time management;
- Strong communicator at all levels;
- Able to meet (multiple) deadlines and manage and deliver competing priorities.
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this message by our CEO.