Principal Consultant, Waste Market Due Diligence
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Bristol, Flexible, London, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
For over 40 years, Ricardo Energy & Environment’s resource efficiency and waste management specialists have worked in partnership with governments and delivery agencies, local authorities and waste management companies to deliver a range of infrastructure advisory services. Our team has established itself at the forefront of the UK market and has developed a strong international presence.
We are now looking to appoint a lead waste market due diligence specialist in our waste technical services team to complement and grow our existing team.
We are looking for candidates with experience and knowledge of the waste and resources sector to provide market assessment analysis and due diligence advice to investors, local authorities, developers, owners and transaction advisors on both the buy and sell side in relation to waste management assets and entities. You will have a strong understanding of the commercial sensitivities that affect the placing of funds to develop a range of wastes asset classes.
An ability to provide expert analysis and commentary on the availability of all waste streams that provide a feedstock to waste treatment facilities and secondary re-processors. Ricardo hold extensive data on UK waste assets and the candidate will be able to extrapolate relevant data to provide a clear picture to clients of the waste infrastructure landscape. End use markets for secondary raw material and product outputs from waste treatment facilities are equally important and candidates should have a firm understanding of the treatment and processing solutions available to the waste and resource sector.
You should be a able to:
- understand waste infrastructure investment opportunities and risks for recycling, recovery, waste to energy and disposal facilities;
- understand the UK waste infrastructure and policy landscape, market drivers and dynamics;
- have a clear appreciation of, and ability to interpret, waste market information and data sources, including investment drivers
- prepare and present reports to investment stakeholders;
- have an understanding of project finance;
- be confident working with investment teams and advisors at all levels of organisations;
- have a desire to be market facing and act as the Ricardo lead in investor and developer meetings;
- be able to identify market opportunities and build and grow existing client base; and,
- preferably have experience of secondary markets for waste derived materials, including international markets
Our projects relate to UK infrastructure investments, international investment strategies and UK market entry by global companies. We offer the opportunity to support our growing portfolio of international projects. You will provide insight and analysis to support infrastructure investment and divestment decisions across all types of waste assets classes.
You will have excellent report writing and communications skills and a high level of competency in data analysis.
Alongside your core responsibilities, you will have opportunities to work with our enthusiastic and ambitious waste technical and circular economy teams, comprising approximately 50 specialists, supporting a diverse range of clients and projects in a fast-paced, exciting working environment.
You will contribute to developing new business through, for example, developing and maintaining strong client relationships and responding to invitations to tender. You will have the opportunity to support the development of more junior staff and would be responsible for overseeing the quality of project deliverables.
Competencies and experience:
- Ability to take responsibility for the quality of your own work and that of project delivery teams;
- Effective project management skills;
- Strong client management skills;
- Clear understanding of the waste sector, including UK policy and legislation;
- Understanding of commercial factors affecting waste asset investment decisions
- Ability to write clear, concise and accurate technical reports;
- Ability to confidently source, manage, analyse and interpret waste data;
- Ability to lead and prepare proposals and tenders;
- Member of a relevant professional institution e.g. Chartered Institution of Wastes Management (CIWM);
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
Skills and behaviours:
- Receptive to new and varied challenges, and able to rise to them and to learn;
- Able to work independently and as part of a project team, irrespective of position or role on the task;
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated;
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy and quality in all work;
- Excellent report writing and bid-writing skills;
- Desire to deliver influential consultancy support to the highest standards with new and current clients;
- Strong time management;
- Strong communicator at all levels;
- Able to meet deadlines and manage and deliver multiple competing priorities.
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, including a generous pension scheme. Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this message by our CEO.
The salary for this position is up to £60,000 per annum plus benefits and we are flexible with regards to location and working hours.