Senior or Principal Sustainable Transport Policy Consultant
- Role type
- London, Madrid, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
- Closing Date
Senior or Principal Consultant - Sustainable Transport Policy
Salary : circa £45-60,000 per annum
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy operating across the world. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Ricardo Energy & Environment’s Sustainable Transport team delivers analysis to clients on the major environmental, social and economic challenges facing the transport sector. We provide support to governments to help develop a fully sustainable transport system, including measures to mitigate climate change, improve air quality, cut congestion, improve urban mobility and increase safety. Our work is highly influential and has been used to support development of transport policies around the world.
We are looking for a Senior or Principal Consultant (depending on experience) to join our dynamic team. A previous track record and a strong interest in transport policy is required.
Our work is focused on strategic policy advice covering a very wide range of transport sector issues and plays an integral role in driving regulatory approaches in the UK, Europe and worldwide. Projects are likely to include a combination of quantitative and qualitative analysis, including analysis of policy costs/benefits, stakeholder consultation, survey design/implementation and making policy recommendations. You will use your technical skills to provide insights to support policy development, and to analyse the impact of decisions on the transport system, the economy, the environment and society.
You will have the capacity to work flexibly across a range of thematic areas in transport and will collaborate closely with other technical experts in multi-disciplinary teams. You should enjoy solving complex analytical problems and demonstrate exceptional critical thinking skills. The role will also include carrying out stakeholder consultation with industry and government representatives.
You must possess strong verbal and written communication skills, and actively enjoy working on a wide range of topics that may initially be unfamiliar. Ideally you will also have experience in consultancy projects for clients such as the European Commission or the UK Government.
The role is a mid-level position with responsibility for:
Senior Consultant level
- Leading and contributing written content and technical analysis for the preparation of reports
- Leading and contributing to the development of proposals for new work
- Carrying out a wide range of stakeholder consultation activities
- Working effectively as a team member on a range of projects.
Principal Consultant level
In addition to those listed for Senior Consultant:
- Leading large and complex bids on a wide range of transport policy issues.
- Leading project teams in the delivery of specific project tasks or whole projects
- Senior-level expert quality assurance and technical review of project deliverables
- Leading large and complex bids around the subject matter of low carbon transport technologies and fuels.
Key Competencies and Experience:
- A first or upper second-class BSc (or Masters/PhD)
- Previous experience in consultancy is essential. Experience of working on or managing European Commission and/or UK Government consultancy projects in particular is valuable
- Fluency in English is essential, fluency in other languages is desirable
- Experience of working in line with the EU’s Better Regulation Guidelines is highly desirable
- Experience in the analysis of economic, environmental and social impacts of EU legislation on transport issues is highly desirable
- Experience in managing complex consultancy projects is highly desirable
- Experience in developing quantitative scenarios and models is desirable.
Skills and behaviours:
- A previous specialism in transport is essential
- A strong interest in transport policy is highly desirable
- Excellent report-writing skills and verbal communication skills
- Effective and proactive team worker, capable of supporting and developing peers and other staff members
- Strong data analysis skills are also desirable (for example, using Excel, R or Python).
The role will be based in our London, Oxfordshire, Manchester or Madrid offices, depending on the successful candidate’s preference.
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.