Senior/Principal Consultant - Environmental Permitting and Compliance
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Part time, Permanent
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading environmental sustainability consultancy. Operating in the UK and across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Due to continued success and expansion, our Waste Technical Services Team has a vacancy for a specialist Environmental Permitting and Compliance Consultant at Senior or Principal Consultant level.
You will work closely with other in-house regulatory compliance specialists in a varied role that includes, for example, preparing permit applications and supporting assessments, providing specialist advice in regulatory compliance issues, including relating to enforcement action, and providing permitting advice to infrastructure acquisition and development project teams.
Although reporting within our core waste sector advisory team, there will also be opportunities to work across other industry sectors, such as water and food and drink, and in partnership with in-house specialists in renewable energy and heat, air quality modelling and assessment, water & environmental quality and planning and environmental impact assessment. You will have a chance to make a tangible difference to our established clients and to contribute to further developing our client base.
We welcome enthusiastic candidates, whether they prefer full-time or part-time roles or a home or office-base (Harwell, Bristol, London or Manchester). We recognise that all applicants are unique, and we will seek to understand your skills, experience and career objectives in order to fully define a role around you that fits within our overall requirements and services. You will form part of an established team, but equally thrive with an appropriate level of autonomy. We are interested in ambitious, highly motivated, energetic applicants, at Senior Consultant and Principal Consultant level, and with the drive to grow and develop themselves and our wider team.
Our Waste Technical Services Team supports investors, developers (including procuring authorities), operators and regulators of waste management facilities, including through legal and other transaction advisors, at all stages of the project lifecycle. Our team comprises recognised experts with a range of backgrounds, providing tailored support to clients in technical, market, commercial and regulatory advice and due diligence, expert opinion, procurement, operational and compliance support, site-based infrastructure delivery services, and a broad range of technical and regulatory consultancy services covering all types of wastes, waste derived materials, and biomass, and the full range of waste treatment and recovery technologies. We primarily provide advice to UK projects but are successfully growing our client base internationally, including in Europe, Australia and the Middle East.
- contributing to and leading permit and other regulatory applications and supporting documents, primarily but not limited to the waste sector, with the support of senior specialists;
- providing specialist advice in regulatory due diligence assessments, including in infrastructure acquisition and development projects;
- acting as, or to having the potential to be mentored in order to act as, a named expert witness in relation to matters involving the compliance of facilities and activities in the waste and potentially other sectors;
- inputting to marketing, sales, and opportunity qualification; and
- contributing to winning new business, including with new clients, in the UK and internationally, including taking a key role in or leading the preparation of proposals
Competencies and experience:
- proven track record in environmental consultancy;
- experience working for a UK environmental regulator in a permitting or enforcement role, either as an employee or on a secondment basis;
- demonstrable experience and knowledge of UK/EU waste and environmental regulation;
- able to interpret and analyse information, drawing on specialist support as necessary, to identify and deliver solutions;
- able to write clear, concise and accurate reports in plain English;
- excellent interpersonal skills and able to develop positive and lasting relationships with clients and in-house specialists;
- demonstrates attention to detail and desire to deliver influential consultancy support to the highest standards to new and current clients;
- qualified to degree or masters level in a relevant discipline (e.g. environmental management)
- experience working for a UK waste management company in a permitting or compliance role;
- experienced in contributing to regulatory and technical due diligence assessments;
- experienced as an expert witness, or to have the potential and commitment to be mentored in order to act as a named expert witness;
- interest to mentor and develop more junior colleagues in environmental permitting;
- member of a relevant professional body;
- interest/experience in international waste consultancy and opportunities to apply UK experience to support international clients
Skills and behaviours:
- commercially minded technical consultant;
- receptive to new and varied challenges, and able to rise to them and to learn;
- able to work independently and as part of a project team, irrespective of position or role on the task;
- excellent attention to detail and accuracy and quality in all work;
- good time management; and able to meet multiple deadlines and manage and deliver competing priorities
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme. Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.