- Role type
- Part time, Full time, Permanent
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a global sustainability consultancy. We deliver cutting edge services to clients on climate change, pollution and the future of mobility, among others. Our mission is to solve the world’s most pressing energy and environmental challenges.
We are looking for an Aquatic Ecologist to join our busy and reputable Water Team. You will be providing technical support on projects and to clients across the UK, and occasionally beyond, carrying out projects encompassing a hydro-ecology focus.
You will be joining Ricardo Energy and Environments Water Practice. a team of 46 specialists who work on a variety of water management and ecology projects, across a wide range of clients. We are a passionate team of like-minded professionals with a strong project portfolio in the water, developer and public sectors.
The dynamic of the team provides opportunities to explore your interests and carry out a range of tasks and functions within aquatic ecology, as well as a range of related disciplines. There is also a degree of flexibility over which facets of the role you become most invested in: be it a more technical focus; project management; developing bids and tenders; or, a more generalist role. Conversely, there will be times where you need to be adaptable and open minded regarding the work you undertake, particularly during busy periods of large projects or bids.
You will be responsible for the safe and effective implementation of environmental surveys for aquatic and/or terrestrial ecology along with the production of high-quality reports. You will also have the opportunity to get involved in water quality monitoring and pollution incident response work.
You will be expected to liaise with clients and sub-consultants and help to prepare fee proposals and author technical reports. This will include: baseline reports, Preliminary Ecological Appraisals, Species Reports, Ecological Impact Assessment, Habitats Regulation Assessments and ecological input to Environmental Statements.
Skills and Experience:
- A degree in a relevant subject, e.g. ecology, water science or environmental science, and ideally a relevant postgraduate qualification
- Previous experience of consultancy work
- Graduate or Associate membership of CIEEM
- A broad understanding of environmental policy
- Experience in ecological impact assessment
- Experience of planning and conducting ecological surveys, including aquatic surveys, PEA/Phase 1 habitat survey and protected species surveys and providing mitigation recommendations
- A thorough understanding of undertaking surveys safely and to the right quality standard
- Good report writing skills, especially ecological survey reports and assessments
- A good understanding of wildlife legislation, the planning process, EIA and, ideally Habitats Regulations Assessment
- Experience of project management and/or preparation of ecology proposals and tenders
- A full UK driver’s license is essential
What we offer:
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this message by our CEO.