Principal Economist - Environmental Policy
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Flexible, London, Madrid, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell), Utrecht
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
We have an opportunity for a Principal Economist to support a range of exciting and innovative environmental policy projects across the business. We are one of Europe’s leading consultancies supporting national Governments, the European Commission and international bodies such as the Asian Development Bank and World Bank in the development, implementation and appraisal of environmental policy.
Economic analysis is a critical component of the services we provide. You will be involved in policy impact assessments, requiring skills in cost-benefit analysis, socio-economic analysis, feasibility assessment and evaluation. We expect you to understand the processes for development of public policy and the methods for assessing the social, environmental and economic impacts of policies and measures.
The role will support a diverse range of environmental policy areas including air quality and emissions, industrial pollution control, circular economy, waste and resource efficiency, water, climate change adaptation and mitigation, energy, agriculture and chemicals management. In response to our recent successes and growing demand for economics support from across the business we are growing our team to support delivery and further expansion.
We are looking for a Principal Economist to join our dynamic team. Our work is focused on strategic policy advice covering a very wide range of issues. You will work on high profile projects that play an integral role in driving regulatory approaches in the UK, Europe and worldwide. You will use your technical skills to provide insights to support policy decisions, and to analyse the impact of decisions on the economy, the environment and society.
You will have the capacity to work flexibly across a range of thematic areas and will collaborate closely with technical experts in multi-disciplinary teams. You should also enjoy solving complex analytical problems and demonstrate exceptional critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills.
Ideally, you will have experience in leading or working on proposals and projects for clients such as international development banks, the European Commission and national governments. The successful candidate must have an aptitude for solving complex problems that feature economic analysis, and actively enjoy working on a wide range of topics that may initially be unfamiliar to them.
You will also have responsibility in delivering the following:
- Designing, structuring and applying economic analysis to a wide range of policy problems across multiple topic areas
- Leading, managing and contributing to complex proposals and projects where there is a strong focus on economic and wider quantitative analysis
- Working effectively as team member on a range of projects and proposals
- Providing written content and technical analysis for the preparation of reports, as well as contributing to the development of proposals for new work
- Presenting Ricardo Energy & Environment’s work at client meetings and conferences
You will be an ambitious individual who is looking to play a key role in developing and growing our dynamic and successful team. You will be someone who enjoys working collaboratively and has a passion for supporting and mentoring junior colleagues. You will have extensive consultancy experience with both public and private sector clients and will have a proven track record in identifying, securing and delivering new opportunities, from lead generation and proposal preparation through to project delivery.
You should have the following skills and experience:
- Extensive consultancy experience in environmental economics, applying strategic analysis to a wide range of policy problems across multiple topic areas.
- Problem solving skills in complex scenarios where fundamental principles may not clearly apply, or where data appears to conflict.
- Previous experience in consultancy and managing projects for international organisations and/or European Commission and/or UK Government would be desirable.
- An understanding of European and/or international environmental policy issues, gained during studies or work experience
- Strong communication skills, and experience of collaborating with diverse stakeholders/audiences and facilitating agreement between conflicting parties.
- Highly numerate, with a track record in carrying out complex quantitative analysis
- Possess strong project management skills
- Effective and proactive team worker, capable of supporting and developing peers and other staff members
- Fluency in English is essential, fluency in other languages is highly desirable
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading international sustainability consultancy combining air quality, climate change, energy, water, waste and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability.
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this message by our CEO.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.