Crisis Management Business Development Manager
- Role type
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental, business continuity and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
The organisation has delivered strong growth in the environmental sector over the last few years and we are at the centre of Ricardo PLC’s strategy for the next 100 years of the business with the backing and support of the PLC for substantial growth.
Ricardo also run the National Chemical Emergency Centre (NCEC), founded over 40 years ago, which is the market leading provider of chemical emergency response services globally, dealing with over 8,000 emergency calls a year on behalf of over 550 companies, including ~50% of the largest chemical manufacturers in the world. We are recognised by our clients, the industry and our peers as being the premium provider of these services, and our reputation is based on the outstanding level of knowledge and technical expertise of our emergency response team.
Alongside the chemical emergency response services, the Ricardo Crisis Management practice offers a telephone based incident notification service and crisis consultancy services which include training, exercising, business continuity planning, pre-, during- and post-event specialist advisory support, and operational resilience consulting. The Crisis Management practice is central to our future growth and create the opportunity to engage in a number of new sectors.
With focused resource and expertise, we are looking to achieve further growth in new sales as part of our 3-year plan working with and supporting internal teams with dedicated sales skills focused predominantly on our business continuity, crisis management and incident notification capabilities.
The Crisis Management Business Development Manager will be a new role within the business and will operate in addition to our current sales team in support of our business plan growth targets. You will be responsible for crafting sales plans, taking our proposition into the market and achieving sales targets for the services. The key being to expand our customer base both within the UK and internationally for these crisis services as well as developing our product portfolio based on client needs.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone looking to develop their career with progression potential for a high performer within NCEC and Ricardo Energy & Environment. Reporting to our Associate Director for business Development, and working very closely with the Head of Crisis Management, you will benefit from developing under the guidance, skills and experience of our team. You will have autonomy to determine your own focus and areas of activity.
Being a significant growth area of the business, the role offers good levels of autonomy, freedom and “ownership” of the plan for growth. You will be supported by our proactive and effective marketing team and have access to calling resources but you’ll also be expected to undertake high levels of your own outbound activity – calls, event attendance, meetings etc.
Experience in selling complex crisis management/risk consulting services at a national and international level, to both new and existing customers, is strongly desired. However, Ricardo will work with any successful candidate to develop the necessary knowledge and terminology. As such, a candidate with experience in sales and bringing complex B2B services to market as part of an end to end sales plan will be considered.
- The successful candidate will have a proven track record of establishing strong prospect relationship to generate well qualified sales leads that will progress and managing opportunities through the entire sales cycle through to securing a profitable order (demonstrable with key performance metrics at interview). You will have the ability to understand and explain our services to regulatory, legal, communication, security, health and safety and risk focused personnel and C-level decision makers, and develop compelling solutions tailored to their needs. You will also need to quickly understand and be able to ‘sell’ our telephone-based Incident Notification service alongside our consultancy offerings.
- Developing new customers
- Design and implement a sales plan that expands the Ricardo crisis customer base, b based on your experiences with risk management related services, and rapidly increases market presence.
- Hit sales targets by successfully presenting the crisis management propositions to the market, steering work of the marketing team, generating leads, and managing prospects through the sales cycle.
- Set the foundations for strong, long-lasting customer relationships by careful diagnosis of their needs and accurate, value-adding prescription.
- Creating and/or sharing information with clients such as white papers, technical knowledge and insight.
- Identifying opportunities where the support of NCEC’s crisis services are needed.
- Defining bespoke sales campaign activity.
- Management of sales funnel and activity.
- Proactively creating and managing a funnel of ~50 opportunities, achieving 75% forecasting accuracy.
- Optimising the use of a range of tools and techniques to ensure the consistency and professionalism of the day-to-day activities lead to positive results in the achievement of our goals.
- To deliver high levels of outbound calling and face-to-face meetings to maximize sales targets.
- Liaising with marketing and sales personnel to ensure effective promotion of Ricardo’s capabilities in support of sales activities to grow our accounts. The ability to work closely and collaboratively with clients and prospects, as well as the in-house team, to explore their requirements and position solutions that achieve those requirements is critical.
- Liaising with the Business Area Manager and crisis lead to develop the product and related services
- Identifying and communicating intelligence on market requirements and opportunities.
- Creating profitable customer solutions.
Key competencies and experience:
- Demonstrable experience and track record in new business development (and associated high levels of supporting activity) ideally in the ‘crisis market’ or a related field such as risk or insurance.
- Proven ability in effective planning of campaign activity or sales strategy.
- Positive engagement with customers, partners and colleagues in pursuit of successful sales outcomes.
- Ability to balance the knowledge of client future requirements with appreciation of market trends, business strategy and the need for contracts to generate profit and establish successful long-term relationships.
Skills and behaviours:
- An organised, commercially aware, target focused business development professional who appreciates excellent customer service and client relationships are critical to the achieving this.
- A team player able to work with a wide range of stakeholders both inside and outside of the organisation, being comfortable and confident in working with clients to ensure they are getting value from our services, and seeking further support opportunities
- Committed to continuous improvement of the business, the service delivery, and the clients risk management.
- Enthusiastic about sharing knowledge and expertise with the team to encourage improvement in the function of the customer service team as a whole
- Comfortable working in a dynamic operational environment, occasionally involving elements of quick decision-making
- Willing to embrace Ricardo’s values of Passion, Innovation, Integrity and Respect and aim to lead others towards high standards of behaviour and performance.
- Entrepreneurial and Commercial Thinking
- Achieving Personal Work Goals and Objectives
- Coping with Pressures and Setbacks
- Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations
- Presenting and Communicating Information
- Relating and Networking
- Persuading and Influencing
There is considerable potential to earn your On-Target Earnings in this risk driven sector where we are a premium service provider, with an uncapped bonus for over-performers.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo is an equal opportunities employer