PHP Developer (Symfony)
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Part time
- Home based, London, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
- Closing Date
Ricardo is a leading energy and environmental consultancy that works with governments, international donors and the private sector to reduce the impacts of climate change and enable sustainable business growth.
Ricardo’s digital products and solutions are fundamental in helping to fulfil evolving customer objectives around a growing need for detailed data insights, data transparency, security and visualisation. The Digital Services team engage collaboratively in scrum teams with Ricardo’s wide range of internationally recognised experts and scientists, creating new and innovative solutions to tackle some of the world’s most pressing challenges.
As part of the team you will have opportunities to work on a wide variety of digital projects and technically challenging work. Examples of our work include:
Enterprise grade bespoke software applications for real-time data collection, processing, ratification and reporting for national and international air quality and energy management systems. Software developed by our Digital Services team from the ground up.
Web based data management systems that have helped improve the efficiency and operation of large-scale programmes for clients including Ofgem, Big Lottery and Department for Transport
Industry leading emergency response solutions, for the National Chemical Emergency Centre. Our software helps emergency responders to quickly identify the correct procedure to be followed in the event of an incident involving hazardous materials, helping customers and the emergency services to save lives 24/7/365.
We are looking for someone with a strong background in PHP and industry-leading frameworks (ideally Symfony) who can help us build and support data-intensive web applications for our public and private sector clients. The successful candidate will be an accomplished developer who is comfortable working on a portfolio of projects, both supporting and enhancing existing applications as well as creating new systems in teams and alone on smaller projects.
Our ideal candidate will relish developing challenging complex solutions, have excellent organisational skills and be an enthusiastic contributor to our team.
- Building MVC OOP PHP web applications in a commercial environment using Symfony ≥ 4 or Laravel ≥ 6
- 6+ years’ experience in advanced OOP PHP ≥ 7
- Practitioner of SOLID OOP software design principles
- API Platform – REST and GraphQL framework
- System architecture (including SOA/microservices)
- Understanding basics of Docker/Containers
- Commerical product development
- Doctrine ORM and relational database design
- MySQL, MariaDB and PostgreSQL databases
- RESTful API principles
- Version control tools (preferably Git and GitLab)
- Working collaboratively with software and non-software professionals
- Familiarity with Apache or Nginx
- Basics of Linux
- Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Commercial product development
- jQuery, ReactJS
- R, Python
- Drupal 8
- IT or computer science degree
- GIS related experience
- Agile development practices (SCRUM/Kanban)
- Proficient with Jira and Confluence
- Well organised, with the ability to deliver high quality code
- Works well with others, with good face-to-face communication skills
- Has passion, motivation and can easily adapt to learn and apply new technologies
- Commercially aware
- Ability to lead a project development and proactively engage project managers
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, IDE budget provided, choice of Mac or Windows laptop, flexible working, career progress and development, and the opportunity to make a difference in a competitive and rewarding field.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.