Renewable Energy Consultant
- Role type
- Part time, Full time, Permanent
- Glasgow, Guildford, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a global sustainability consultancy, core to Ricardo Group’s vision of creating a world fit for the future. Our mission is to solve the world’s most pressing energy and environmental challenges. To achieve this, we combine world-leading energy, climate change and environmental expertise with powerful power systems engineering, IT, knowledge management and economics capabilities.
Our business consists of a team of over 400 consultancy staff and we work globally for governments, international agencies, infrastructure operators, regulators and commercial organisations as a leading provider of analysis, advice and sustainable solutions. We also have a track record in leading and delivering major multi-partner transnational programmes.
The Energy Practice:
The Energy Practice’s focus is the decarbonisation of energy and we consist of over 65 specialist consultants supporting techno-economic studies, technical auditing, regulatory development, smart grid solutions, carbon management and optimising local energy systems. The practice operates in the following market sectors for public and private organisations:
- Transport Energy Infrastructure
- National Electrical Infrastructure
- National Heat & Cooling Infrastructure
- Local Energy Systems
Key competencies and experience
Ricardo provides technical and commercial analysis to help develop local energy systems across the UK and internationally. These include wind, hydro and solar PV systems connected to the grid, systems serving customers and off grid systems. Increasingly these sources are combined with storage and local electricity sales.
You will be a key team member in the management and delivery of renewable energy project work for clients, as well as contributing to winning renewable energy consultancy projects from public and private sector customers.
To undertake this work, you will have:
- Experience of developing onshore wind, hydro or solar PV projects in the 50kW to 10MW range.
- Experience of renewable energy development processes: resource assessment, technical and financial feasibility, project development (planning, grid, EPC contracts etc.);
- Desirable experience and capabilities include:
- Experience of the technical and development aspects of electricity storage;
- Experience of innovations in electricity networks (e.g. Advanced Network Management, and other Smart Grid solutions);
- Experience of innovations in electricity supply, (e.g. private wire, unlicenced electricity supply etc);
The focus is to serve our client base in Scotland so there is a preference to be based in the Glasgow office. You will largely work on local energy systems, but also be able to develop skills and experience to contribute to other client work, from policy analysis, due diligence and audits of energy systems.
Skills and behaviours
You will also demonstrate several of the following:
- Analytical skills with ability to identify, develop and implement business improvement solutions.
- Providing advice to clients, private sector and community organisations.
- Business development and client management skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- The ability to develop and deliver project plans and programmes from inception to completion.
- Ability to disseminate knowledge to other members of the team.
Qualification & experience
- You will have an Engineering or Science qualification/background with practical career experience in the energy sector.
- Membership of a relevant technical body, or working towards membership.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.