Senior Data Scientist
- Role type
- Full time, Part time
- Closing Date
Who we are:
Ricardo is a leading energy and environmental consultancy that works with governments, international donors and the private sector to reduce the impacts of climate change and enable sustainable business growth through award winning consultancy and technical expertise.
We tackle some of the world’s toughest environmental challenges, working on monitoring and improving air quality in cities, guiding decisions about energy generation and use, helping governments with climate change and resource efficiency, developing policies about transport and water resources, and offering emergency response services for chemical spills.
Our Digital Services team work in collaboration with Ricardo’s wide range of internationally recognised experts and scientists across these environmental sectors, creating new and innovative solutions to tackle some of the world’s most pressing challenges. With some exciting growth plans you’ll be joining the digital services team with opportunities to work on a wide variety of digital projects and technically challenging work both nationally and internationally.
We have an opportunity for a senior data scientist to join our team. You will work across the wider business in order to provide best practice leadership and guidance to the practices, who are helping national Governments, the European Commission and international bodies such as the Asian Development Bank and World Bank in the development, implementation and appraisal of environmental policy and technical solutions.
From day one, you’ll be involved in delivering high-profile projects. You will use your technical skills to support colleagues in best practice, data wrangling and applying the latest data analysis techniques utilising a professional software development approach.
You will have the capacity and curiosity to work across a range of thematic areas and will collaborate closely with technical experts in multi-disciplinary teams. You should also enjoy solving complex analytical problems and demonstrate exceptional critical thinking skills.
- As a senior data scientist, you will carry out research and analysis that drives innovation for our consultancy projects. You will manage your time across several projects, contributing to data cleaning, data analysis, modelling and report-writing.
- This is a varied role in which you will have the opportunity to work on different projects and gain broad exposure to the world of environmental consultancy. You will also work collaboratively with professionals within the business to introduce them to data engineering concepts, with opportunities to mentor and upskill data engineers and analysts, creating a standardised and professional development approach to Python development throughout the business.
Key competencies and experience:
- Strong proficiency in Python
- Demonstrable experience of:
- Developing data pipelines, manipulating and cleaning data, extraction of data
- Using versioning systems (Git), task, test and release management tool
- Relevant Python libraries (NumPy, Pandas, Scikit-Learn)
- Understanding of statistics and both the applications and limitations of machine learning
- Strong oral and written communication skills in order to synthesise findings, communicate insights and visualise results.
- Interest and ability to learn and apply new technologies
- No previous experience or education in the environmental sector is necessary, but a passion for what we do is essential
- Bachelors (2.1 or above) or Masters degree in a relevant discipline (data science, computer science, economics or related)
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, flexible working, and the opportunity to make a difference in a competitive and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy operating across the world. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.