Principal Consultant, Waste Procurement
- Role type
- Permanent, Part time, Full time
- London, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
- Closing Date
For over 40 years, Ricardo Energy & Environment’s Resource Efficiency and Waste Management Practice has worked in partnership with governments, delivery agencies, industry and international organisations in delivering cost-effective solutions to resource efficiency needs – establishing itself at the forefront of the UK market. We are looking to appoint a waste procurement expert to complement our existing capability within Ricardo. We recognise that all applicants are unique, and we operate in a fast-moving commercial environment, therefore we will seek to understand your skills, experience and career objectives in order to define a role around you that fits within our overall requirements and services.
Our enthusiastic and ambitious team has maintained its position as a leading consultancy in the resource and waste management sector. Our team is actively delivering a range of contracts, including supporting infrastructure development projects, developing waste and circular economy policies, strategies and business models, technical advisory waste procurement support, data management and business case development for a diverse client base across the public and private sector in the UK.
Our specialist team includes internationally recognised experts who, by working alongside key stakeholders, partners and clients, provide tailored support, solutions and guidance to address complex environmental and economic concerns. Our focus is on helping clients to solve problems and developing their capabilities to continue to solve problems after our commission has ended. We strive to always be the consultant of choice in our sectors. We continue to help our clients achieve substantial savings and balance environmental, social and economic pressures whether it be on-site or in the board room. Our track record of successful delivery and long-term appointments by major clients speaks for itself in terms of our commitment to quality and consistency in our delivery. Today, we are taking our market-leading knowledge to all parts of the world and are expanding our teams accordingly.
Our clients range from international governments, donor agencies and business through to local authorities and municipalities, charities and SMEs.
We are looking for a Principal Consultant with proven experience and extensive knowledge of the waste sector to provide technical advisory support, and to manage and direct waste service and infrastructure projects. You will have the ability to design procurement strategies, draft procurement documentation, lead dialogue or negotiation with bidders, evaluate tenders, and provide advice throughout the procurement process. Alongside your core responsibilities, there will be opportunities to work with our wider Resource Efficiency and Waste Management practice supporting a diverse range of projects. The role will provide support to both local authority and waste management company clients.
You will also be responsible for helping to develop new business through, for example, client relationships and responding to invitations to tender. You will be expected to act as technical lead, project manager and/or project director on waste procurement projects from feasibility stage through to contract award and mobilisation. You will oversee and support the development of more junior staff and be responsible for overseeing the overall quality of project deliverables and outputs on procurement and other waste management projects. There will be opportunities to work on our growing international portfolio, particularly in the Middle East and Australia.
- Technical lead, project manager or project director including for large complex projects;
- Mentoring and development of less experienced staff;
- Responsible for the quality of own work and that of the project delivery team;
- Tasks to be delivered to time and within budget;
- Expected to win new business by leading proposals, and using existing networks/relationships and/or attending events.
Essential competencies and experience:
- Extensive waste services and/or infrastructure procurement expertise;
- Qualified to a bachelor’s degree level in a relevant discipline;
- Effective project management skills;
- Proven client management skills;
- Ability to write clear, concise and accurate technical reports and manage data confidently;
- Ability to lead and prepare proposals and tenders;
- Member of a relevant professional institution e.g. CIWM;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, attention to detail and desire to deliver influential consultancy support to the highest standards with new and current clients.
Desirable competencies and experience:
- Qualified to master’s level or higher in a relevant discipline;
- Experience in public speaking at conferences and events;
- Good client networks and willingness to travel within the UK and internationally.
Skills and behaviours:
- Commercially minded technical consultant;
- Receptive to new and varied challenges, and able to rise to them and to learn;
- Able to work independently and as part of a project team, irrespective of position or role on the task;
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated;
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy and quality in all work;
- Excellent report writing and bid-writing skills
- Strong time management;
- Strong communicator at all levels; and
- Able to meet (multiple) deadlines and manage and deliver competing priorities.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark and form part of a new established team. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Ener