- Role type
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Specifically, the Water & Environment practice of Ricardo Energy & Environment offers a comprehensive range of specialist services within the environmental consultancy sector. Nationally and internationally recognised for our expertise in planning and overseeing complex and sensitive projects, our skills have been utilised by a wide range of clients within the public and private sectors including the European Commission, government, water companies and developers. We not only advise our existing clients especially around planning, water companies, and airports on environmental policy and ecological assessments, but also work across our organization to support wide environment projects related to environmental change.
We are looking for an experienced Aquatic Ecologist with a strong understanding of impacts on ecology related to hydrological conditions to join our team in London. You will join colleagues in providing technical support on a variety of water management and ecology projects, across a wide range of clients in the water, developer, public and private sectors. You will be expected to contribute as part of a wider national team, working closely with colleagues in Bristol and Manchester in particular. The role will comprise both field work (ecological, water quality and flow) and the post holder will also be expected to collate and write up and analyze results.
- Provide high level technical advice and input into aquatic ecology investigations related to core water quality and hydrological influences on aquatic ecology related to water resource and mitigation planning.
- Undertake, produce and technically review environmental assessments of various activities on aquatic ecology features.
- Work effectively with water companies, developers, design engineers, contractors, planners and other regulators to help achieve positive outcomes for projects.
- Plan and undertake aquatic fieldwork e.g. macroinvertebrate surveys, invasive species. surveys, water quality sampling with clear understanding for health and safety requirements.
- Support a range of bids, including large and complex proposals, including development of bid technical method.
- Manage tasks within projects, to quality, time, budget and customer satisfaction.
- Contribute to providing robust and innovative solutions to customer problems.
- Develop client relationships and follow-on work opportunities as they arise from existing work.
- Support other colleagues from different fields in all aspects of aquatic ecology consultancy.
Key competencies and experience:
- Comprehensive understanding and recognition of aquatic ecology features, especially macroinvertebrates but ideally also including fish and macrophytes, with particular focus on the freshwater environment.
- Experience of working on technically complex aquatic ecology assessments such as used in flow and pollution investigations, Water Framework Directive assessments; appropriate assessments for HRA and significant infrastructure EcIAs.
- Understanding of habitat/ecosystem physical environment pressures in the freshwater environment (e.g. drought, pollution) and aquatic species’ requirements.
- Experience in the consultancy field.
- Experience of specifying, planning, risk-assessing and conducting safe field surveys in the freshwater environment.
- A degree in a relevant subject, such as Ecology, Biology or eco-hydrology and ideally a postgraduate degree.
- Experience in supporting the preparation of proposals and tenders.
- Experience with GIS would be an advantage.
- A full UK driver’s licence.
Skills and behaviours:
- Excellent team working skills together with strong communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated to thrive in this busy and demanding environment.
- Good appreciation of health and safety hazards and responsibilities in aquatic fieldwork.
- Good IT skills in commonly used software, e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel
- Excellent reporting skills with a close attention to detail
- Able to work under pressure and flexible
- Keen to apply and develop innovative approaches to field, data capture and reporting to achieve better outputs to clients to achieve excellence whilst also driving more efficient approaches.
If you have drive, passion, enjoy applying innovative thinking and keen to work for a range of clients in a fast-paced and challenging environment we can offer you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.