Consultant - Aquatic Ecologist
- Role type
- Full time, Permanent
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy and Environment is a leading environment and sustainability consultancy combining water, ecology, energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
We are seeking a Consultant – Aquatic Ecologist to support our growing ecological consultancy work. The post will be based in Manchester but will support projects throughout the UK and occasionally beyond.
You will be responsible for the safe and effective implementation of environmental surveys for aquatic and/or terrestrial ecology along with the production of high-quality reports. You will also have the opportunity to get involved in water and air quality monitoring work.
You will be expected to liaise with clients and sub-consultants and help to prepare fee proposals and author technical reports. This will include: baseline reports, Preliminary Ecological Appraisals, Species Reports, Ecological Impact Assessment, Habitats Regulation Assessments and ecological input to Environmental Statements. You will be guided and supported by our national Director for Infrastructure and Ecology, as well as the local ecology Team Leader.
Key competencies and experience:
- A first degree in a relevant subject, e.g. ecology, water science or environmental science, and ideally a relevant postgraduate qualification.
- Previous experience of consultancy work.
- Graduate or Associate membership of CIEEM.
- A broad understanding of environmental policy.
- Experience in ecological impact assessment.
- Experience of planning and conducting ecological surveys, including aquatic surveys, PEA/Phase 1 habitat survey and protected species surveys and providing mitigation recommendations.
- A thorough understanding of undertaking surveys safely and to the right quality standard.
- Good report writing skills, especially ecological survey reports and assessments.
- A good understanding of wildlife legislation, the planning process, EIA and, ideally Habitats Regulations Assessment.
- Experience of project management and/or preparation of ecology proposals and tenders.
- A full UK driver’s license is essential.
Skills and behaviours:
- You will be a self-starter, happy working in a small and very busy team.
- Excellent team working skills are therefore essential, together with strong communication skills, sound understanding of ecological impact assessment and a close attention to detail.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo-E&E.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo-E&E is an equal opportunities employer.