Business Development Manager – Transport Energy Infrastructure & Utilities
- Role type
- Full time, Part time, Permanent
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a global sustainability consultancy, core to Ricardo Group’s vision of creating a world fit for the future. Our mission is to solve the world’s most pressing energy and environmental challenges. To achieve this, we combine world-leading energy, climate change and environmental expertise with powerful IT, knowledge management and economics capabilities.
Our business consists of a team of over 400 consultancy staff and we work globally for governments, international agencies, infrastructure operators, regulators and commercial organisations as a leading provider of analysis, advice and sustainable solutions. We also have a track record in leading and delivering major multi-partner transnational programmes.
The Energy Practice:
The Energy Practice’s focus is the decarbonisation of energy and we consist of over 65 specialist consultants supporting techno-economic studies, technical auditing, regulatory development, smart grid solutions and optimising local energy systems. The practice operate in the following market sectors for public and private organisations:
- Transport Energy Infrastructure
- National Electrical Infrastructure
- National Heat & Cooling Infrastructure
- Local Energy Systems
The role is to develop a sustainable business stream in the Transport Energy Infrastructure sector, working in conjunction with existing and new clients of Ricardo Energy & Environment and other Ricardo business areas; automotive, marine and rail. The global demand for sustainable and decarbonised energy infrastructure solutions for transport is growing rapidly, driven by national climate change commitments, urban air quality, population growth and urbanisation.
We are seeking an experienced business development professional to identify leads, develop opportunities and convert to sales using existing Ricardo services. You will also be required to identify requirements for new services based on their understanding of current and emerging market needs.
You will have a proven track record of identifying and converting market opportunities to profitable sales of consulting services andhave the ability to understand and explain our services to key decision makers, and develop compelling solutions tailored to their needs.
- Design and implement a sales plan that uses the existing Energy Practice service offering to increase the current market presence in the UK and overseas.
- Establish and maintain existing relationships at senior levels within the target customer base.
- Establish internal relationships with consultants across the wider Energy Practice and Ricardo Group to support their sales and business development strategies.
- Work closely with the delivery teams to ensure clear communication of customer requirements and match this to implementation capacity.
- Contribute to identifying new offerings and market requirements that the business can develop and sell to existing or new customers through established or new channels.
- Maintain the Ricardo premium brand and strong track record of delivering customer excellence.
- Identifying and communicating intelligence on market requirements and opportunities.
- Creating profitable customer solutions.
- Proactive management of sales funnel and activity.
- This is an exciting opportunity for a professional and consultative business development individual looking to enhance their skills further within a rewarding and fast paced environmental consultancy business.
Key competencies and experience:
You will have a technical or business background with relevant experience covering some or all of these areas:
- Relevant experience in transport energy infrastructure relating to electrification and/or alternative low carbon fuel sources (e.g. biofuels or hydrogen)
- Proven experience/ability in new business development/generation
- The ability to demonstrate strong pipeline management with strong commercial acumen in order to generate and close business
- Professional business manner and working practice, able to set an example for colleagues.
- Capability and willingness to be self-sufficient in prospect generation, with support from the wider team, including marketing to supplement their own activity
- Positive engagement with customers, partners and colleagues in pursuit of successful sales outcomes
- High levels of drive and commitment; a self-starter, problem solver with the ability to turn ideas into reality
- Ability to network successfully within the organisation, to make connections with key resources and experts across the business to achieve their business development objectives.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field.
We would consider applicants for this post on a full time or part time basis, with the option of periodic homeworking. The role will demand both UK and international travel.
Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.