Senior Consultant - Resource Efficiency and Waste Management
- Role type
- Full time, Part time, Permanent
- London, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
- Closing Date
For over 40 years, Ricardo Energy & Environment’s Resource Efficiency and Waste Management Practice have worked in partnership with governments, delivery agencies, industry and international organisations in delivering cost-effective solutions to resource efficiency needs – establishing itself at the forefront of the UK market.
Our enthusiastic and ambitious team have maintained our position as a leading consultancy in the resource and waste efficient sector. Ricardo have experts in many fields, including the circular economy, life cycle assessment, resource efficiency, waste management strategy, service reviews, treatment technologies and due diligence. This emphasis on targeted recruitment of key skills and expertise is aligned to our business strategy and the dynamic waste and resource sector. We provide mentoring and shadowing programs for junior staff to develop their core skills; coaching on softer skills and consultancy competencies; on the job learning; technical training and a commitment to continuing professional development.
Our specialist team includes internationally recognised experts who, by working alongside key stakeholders, partners and clients, provide tailored support, solutions and guidance to address complex environmental and economic concerns. Our focus is on helping clients to solve problems and developing their capabilities to continue to solve problems after our commission has ended. We strive to always be the consultant of choice in our sectors. We continue to help our clients achieve substantial savings and balance environmental, social and economic pressures whether it be on-site or in the board room. Our track record of successful delivery and long-term appointments by major clients speaks for itself in terms of our commitment to quality and consistency in our delivery. Today, we are taking our market-leading knowledge to all parts of the world and are expanding our teams accordingly.
Our clients range from International governments, donor agencies and business through to local authorities and municipalities, charities and SMEs.
We are looking an experienced Senior Consultant with sufficient knowledge of the waste sector and consultancy to project manage either tasks or projects with a waste data/modelling focus for the resource management industry. You will have the ability to analyse and manipulate waste data to support a wide range of waste management and circular economy projects. There will be opportunities to work across the whole Resource Efficiency and Waste Management practice with an initial focus supporting the Waste Technical business area. This role will provide support to key decision makers in the waste industry, particularly, Local Authorities and waste management companies. The position is well suited to individuals that enjoy evidence-based problem solving.
Typical projects are service reviews, option assessments, strategy development and procurement support. Your role will involve all aspects of supporting and delivering these projects, in particular data analysis and options modelling.
You will be responsible for helping develop new business through client relationships and responding to tenders. You will be expected to lead and manage your own projects and sub tasks as well as contribute as part of the wider team. Although focused initially on UK work there will be opportunities to work on our growing international portfolio, particularly in the Middle East and Australia.
- Project management of small projects or sub tasks of large projects
- Reporting to a Project Director or Project Manager on a project by project basis;
- Responsible for the quality of own work, both written and in spreadsheet form;
- Tasks to be delivered to time and within budget;
- Expected to contribute towards the process of winning new business, through networks and relationships, and including writing proposals and attending events;
Key competencies and experience:
- An ability to process and understand waste related data to enable it’s use as part of a project/model;
- Comfortable developing, using and reviewing waste related models, predominantly in Excel i.e. massflows, collection/resourcing models, option analysis/costing, etc;
- Knowledgeable about the UK waste market and the key players, service models and technologies;
- Experience of undertaking modelling and service reviews, option assessments, strategy development and procurement support;
- Must be able to conduct appropriately referenced research with minimal guidance, and arrive at well-reasoned conclusions from its analysis;
- Ability to interpret complex issues and data, and identify solutions quickly;
- Ability to write clear, concise and accurate technical reports; and
- Project management and delivery including management of junior staff and sub-contractors.
Skills and behaviours:
- A high level of numeracy and a talent for numerical analysis;
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel;
- Project/task management to ensure clients’ needs are met;
- Lead client meetings, achieving successful outcomes;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a project team in delivering high quality work;
- High attention to detail and accuracy in all work;
- Good time management;
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines.
- Preferably, familiar with consultancy and the discipline of booking time to projects.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.