Product Policy Specialist
- Role type
- Oxfordshire (Harwell), Bristol, Glasgow, London, Manchester
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, transport, air quality, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Our Circular Economy and Sustainability business area was recently created to bring a technical focus to the services we deliver in both the public sector and corporate sustainability market. This new Business Area builds upon the work we already deliver including supporting clients on a variety of projects from strategy and policy development, market assessment, data management and financial cost benefit analysis.
Through this team, we are looking to offer a range of ‘joined up’ sustainability services supporting our client’s diverse needs and expand our circular economy and sustainability offering.
We are seeking an experienced consultant to lead our product policy team and develop our business in this quickly developing market. This is a fantastic opportunity to evolve a new stream of business within a leading environmental consultancy. You will have a proven track record, strong market credentials and great customer and commercial skills. You will have extensive consultancy experience in the implementation of regulatory policies, procedures and strategies to ensure product compliance at senior levels in the public and private sector and will work closely with our senior management team within the Circular Economy and Sustainability business area to grow and deliver the team’s portfolio of projects.
Taking a leading role in winning and delivering consultancy projects, this role will involve supporting Ricardo Energy & Environment campaigns and marketing initiatives, developing propositions and proposals and tailoring these for specific market opportunities. In addition, you will need to be involved in delivering the work once won, and in supporting the wider team in developing their skills and approach to market.
The role will be based in one of our regional UK offices (London, Oxfordshire, Bristol, Manchester or Glasgow), in line with the successful candidate’s preferences.
Specific requirements of the role
- To be recognised as an expert in product policy and producer responsibility. The key areas of knowledge and experience are required to cover a range of the following:
- Product policy within one or more specific sectors: chemicals, textiles, electronics, food and drink etc;
- Extended Producer Responsibility and packaging compliance
- Provide technical consulting on product stewardship, producer responsibility, take-back and supply chain sustainability
- Expertise on the associated legislation worldwide, with guidance on compliance
- Support for sustainability strategy, thought leadership, policy/legislative development and research
- Leading a range of proactive business development activities including identifying, engaging and networking with both new and existing clients.
- Developing and overseeing market engagement to raise profile of our services both internally and externally, attracting customers and new accounts.
- Working closely with the Business Area Manager and the Technical Director to develop and deliver the team’s growth plans and identify and secure new consultancy opportunities to achieve the team’s annual targets.
- Leading the development of propositions and proposals for projects for a wide range of clients.
- Overseeing technically complex consultancy projects, and their project managers.
- Managing, coaching and developing the sustainability team, to help grow skills and capability, which will lead to further opportunities.
Key competencies and experience:
You will have relevant experience, an industry, compliance body or consulting background and have a Science, Accountancy, or Engineering, qualification/background with extensive practical and management career experience with a focus on delivering a selection product policy projects. This might include reviewing corporate strategies to identify product risks, delivering policy reports, and assessment methods like Life Cycle Assessment, through to corporate reporting and strategies and other data collection and analytical tools. Knowledge including recent developments related to the Resources and Waste Strategy for England or the UN Sustainable Development Goals would also be useful.
- A Bachelor’s degree (2.1 or above), Master’s degree or PhD in a relevant engineering or science subject with extensive experience in the field.
- Excellent technical knowledge and knowledge of key policy issues in the field.
- Understanding of global supply chains, take-back programmes, materials industries and producers
- Appreciation of the sustainability and social impacts of supply chains
- Understanding of the circular economy, resource efficiency and reuse/recycling
- Extensive consultancy experience and/or working in a corporate CSR/sustainability team.
- Demonstrable track record in work winning
- Extensive project management skills and experience.
Skills and behaviours:
- Excellent business development skills as demonstrated through a track record of identifying and securing new consultancy work in the above fields.
- A passion for delivering high value work to clients, identifying and securing new opportunities and bringing new ideas to the table for successfully growing the business.
- Flexible approach including a willingness and ability to work on a wide range of topics, some of which will be new to you.
- Analytical skills with ability to identify, develop and implement business improvement solutions.
- Great communication skills and highly emotionally intelligent with strong stakeholder engagement skills and an ability to build consensus amongst groups of often very different stakeholders;.
- Excellent numerical skills, report writing and oral presentation skills.
- Effective and proactive team worker, capable of supporting and developing peers and junior staff members.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.