Test Cell Manager
- Role type
Ricardo has vast technical resources with several high-feature engine dyno cells, emissions benches, along with world-class workbays, instrumentation, and specialty tools. This position includes project and personnel management, budgeting and manpower planning responsibility, monitoring of lab utilization, and identifying future needs/improvements.
- Manage the powertrain development test laboratory's execution and test beds while supporting our customer’s needs.
- Lead, coach and develop a team of technicians/technologists/engineers who are developing and testing advanced internal combustion engine hardware and controls, calibrations, and advanced transmissions.
- Ensure open communication with the design, calibration, combustion, development, project, and validation groups to support programs and their successful launches.
- Schedules and assigns work to Engineers and Technicians to meet project quality and timing demands
- Provides instructions and guidance to technicians, test engineers and instrumentation team on complex or unique problems
- Assists in the assurance that all employees adhere to all established company standards, and quality procedures, and work instructions; provides training where necessary
- Creates processes and procedures related to test cell set up, operation and maintenance
- Writes or assists in writing proposals, routine reports or completes sections of more complex reports
- Acts as liaison with other departments and with clients where appropriate
- Expert at set up and operation of test cells for developmental engines, transmissions and vehicles
- Delivers superior levels of customer service to both internal and external customers while demonstrating Ricardo’s core values of respect, integrity, creativity and innovation, and passion
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 10 years of experience in Powertrain dynamometer test cell systems design, implementation, operation, maintenance/troubleshooting and facilities support, including a strong foundation of internal combustion engine fundamentals, emerging trends, tailpipe emissions, and overall PT system interaction.
- Must have at least 5 years of experience managing development teams.
- Must have the ability to deliver succinct written and verbal communication and make timely decisions with limited information.
- Must be able to effectively communicate both to staff and upwards to senior management.
- Must be highly motivated and able to manage multiple assignments concurrently with limited supervision, while driving day-to-day operations.