- Role type
- Bristol, Flexible, Glasgow, London, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, transport, air quality, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Our Circular Economy and Sustainability business area was recently created to bring a technical focus to the services we deliver in both the public sector and corporate sustainability market. This new business area builds upon the work we already deliver including supporting clients on a variety of projects from strategy and policy development, market assessment, data management and financial cost benefit analysis.
Through this team, we are looking to offer a range of ‘joined up’ sustainability services supporting our client’s diverse needs and expand our circular economy and sustainability offering.
We are seeking an experienced consultant to join our product policy team and support the growth of our business in this quickly developing market. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a highly successful and exciting business area within a leading environmental consultancy.
As a result of the expansion of an existing contract we are seeking an experienced consultant to project manage a high-profile multi-year project which provides sustainable packaging audits to private sector clients (brand managers, retailers and Fast-Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) businesses). The individual we are looking for should have strong technical credentials, ideally in packaging, and great customer and commercial skills. You will have consultancy experience within the packaging market and experience of managing projects and will work closely with colleagues in the Circular Economy and Sustainability business area (and will work closely with, and be supported by, our Technical Director.)
This is an exciting role within the filed of packaging and product policy and with the changes proposed through Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) this is an ideal opportunity for the successful candidate to develop their career within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
The role will be based in one of our regional UK offices, London, Oxfordshire, Manchester, Bristol or Glasgow although this is flexible in line with the successful candidate’s preferences.
Specific requirements of the role include:
- The overall delivery and management of a project which provides packaging labelling guidance to private sector clients which includes some of the largest brand managers and retailers in the UK.
- A strong attention to detail in order to ensure our clients receive accurate information through timely and well written reports.
- Overseeing the entire project delivery which involves coordinating audits, writing individual compliance reports and summary quarterly reports and ensuring audit compliance procedures are adhered to.
- Experience of project management and leading a small team of consultants/technical assessors.
- Building strong relationships with clients and other project stakeholders.
- Working closely with our Business Area Manager and Technical Director to develop and develop the delivery model introducing innovations and identify and secure new consultancy opportunities.
- Managing, coaching and developing the team, to help grow skills and capability, which will lead to further opportunities.
Key competencies and experience:
You will have a Science, Accountancy, or Engineering, qualification/background with extensive practical and management career experience with a focus on delivering a selection packaging projects. This might include advising on the plastic packaging value chain (including design, function and materials choice). Knowledge including recent developments related to the European Circular Economy Package, European Strategy for Plastics, 25-Year Environmental Plan, Resource and Waste Strategy for England and the UK Plastics Pact would also be useful.
- A Bachelor’s degree (2.1 or above) in a relevant engineering or science subject with extensive experience in the field
- Excellent technical knowledge and knowledge of key technical and policy issues in the field.
- Extensive consultancy experience and/or working in a corporate sustainability team.
- Extensive project management skills and experience.
- Strong report writing expertise and excellent written English.
- Strong IT skills, particularity Microsoft Excel.
Skills and behaviours:
- Excellent business delivery skills as demonstrated through a track record of consultancy work in the above fields.
- Ability to build effective relationships with retail, manufacturing and packaging industry representatives at all levels.
- A passion for delivering high value work to clients and bringing new ideas to the table for successfully developing the business.
- Flexible approach including a willingness and ability to work on a wide range of topics, some of which will be new to you.
- Analytical skills with ability to identify, develop and implement business improvement solutions.
- Great communication skills and highly emotionally intelligent with strong stakeholder engagement skills and an ability to build consensus amongst groups of often very different stakeholders.
- Excellent numerical skills, report writing and oral presentation skills (in English).
- Effective and proactive team worker, capable of supporting and developing peers and junior staff members.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.