Project Engineer, Battery Systems
- Role type
- Specify, design and develop battery systems from either a clean-sheet requirement, or provide application engineering support to identify the ideal battery pack and integrate into the desired application.
- Develop required documentation (sub-system technical specifications, block diagrams, FMEA, P-diagrams, DVP, work instructions, etc.) and Sheppard the design process through to production release.
- Work with suppliers to identify required components to be incorporated into the final design, resulting in a robust design meeting all client specifications and needs.
- Responsible for design release engineer for module assembly, components and subassemblies, including DFMEA, DVP, robustness/P-diagrams, 2D&3D models, GD&T, critical characteristics, tolerance analysis, engineering BOM, work instructions and process flow. Support procurement of prototype module components, subassembly and assembly, DV & production source selection, APQP, tool design & qualification, purchasing, inventory and quality management
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- This position requires a bachelor's degree in electrical or mechanical engineering.
- Minimum five years' experience in battery pack design and development.
- Experienced with designing and releasing of Automotive components
- Strong communication, client awareness, and problem-solving skills
- Experienced in developing good supplier relationships
- Highly motivated to succeed, a self-starter who is driven and able to work with others effectively to "get things done"
- Strong experience with automotive and industrial energy storage systems employing advanced cell chemistries in various configurations for high voltage, power and energy capacity
- Familiarity with automotive and industrial energy storage system designs at a high level and best practices. Has insight into the rationale for design approaches taken by design teams for current production battery packs.
- Experience with engineering processes from concept development to production energy storage system development.
- Familiarity with engineering development processes (block diagrams, FMEA, P-diagrams, DVP, work instructions, etc). Ability to establish development process tools from clean sheet or 'own' established process until production release.
- Familiarity with industry energy storage system developers (OEM) and typical energy storage system suppliers chain (component suppliers).
- Familiarity with how an energy storage system will operate within a system (hybrid or grid).
- Design and Analysis ' requirements documentation, compliance, a general understanding of mechanical and structural design. Ability to specify key analysis or interpret results.
- Thermal Systems ' familiar with cooling systems: requirements, specifications, heat exchange, working fluids packaging and interconnects
- Electronic module ' fundamental understanding of wiring and bus bar routing, fusing, connectors, mounting of components and maintain bill of materials
- Packaging ' ability to address issues related to detailed design of module packaging, conductors, sensor locations and module and pack-level tolerance stack analysis, creepage and clearance requirements
- Testing ' develop comprehensive test specifications, support DV and PV testing for electrical, mechanical and thermal systems. Close familiarity with test equipment, laboratory requirements and safety.
- BMS - Familiarly with typical BMS system functionality, operation, and integration issues
- Proposal development - Ability to write clear proposals with scope, deliverables, assumptions clearly defined.
- Awareness of industry trends, cell chemistry trade-offs and best practices.
- Commercial delivery Ability to remain focused on delivery in 'noisy environment'. Ability to simplify complex trade-offs into simple choices to support decision makers.