Lead Sustainability Consultant - Sustainability & Circular Economy
- Role type
- Full time, Permanent
- London, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, transport, air quality, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our clients to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Our Circular Economy and Sustainability business area was recently created to bring a technical focus to the services we deliver in both the public sector and corporate sustainability market. The team helps our clients respond to issues across the sustainability agenda including: climate and product risk management, measurement and verification, and sustainability reporting and assurance. We support our clients on a variety of projects across a range of sectors from strategy through to data collection and verification to implementation.
We are at the forefront of current trends in sustainability and the ESG market and engage with clients at all levels to provide insight and solutions to their environmental challenges. We want candidates who are dedicated and capable of helping us to develop and grow our dynamic Circular Economy and Sustainability business area that is focused on making a difference for our clients and to the world we live in.
We are seeking an experienced Sustainability Leader to complement our existing team and develop our business further with new clients. This is an excellent opportunity to lead a growing business unit within a leading environmental consultancy. You could have reached a glass ceiling in your existing role and are now looking for the next step-up. The person we are looking for should have a proven track record, strong market credentials and great customer and commercial skills. You will have demonstrable consultancy experience of working on sustainability projects at senior levels in the private sector and will work closely with other senior colleagues within the business to grow and deliver the team’s portfolio of projects.
Sustainability reporting is an important part of our work, and a focus for this role. Responsibilities will include joining our client-facing teams to develop content for sustainability reports and related annual submissions. You will have experience and understanding of reporting frameworks, with some proven delivery experience in one or more of Global Reporting Initiative, IIRC integrated reporting framework, Sustainability Accounting Standards Boards, CDP, and the Dow Jones Sustainability Index.
With involvement in networking, developing leads, account management of key clients, winning and delivering consultancy projects, this role will involve developing our technical propositions and tailoring these for specific parts of the private sector.
The role will be based in one of our main offices; London, Oxfordshire or Manchester, in line with your preferences.
Specific requirements of the role are to undertake a range of activities depending on business needs, including:
- Developing and overseeing market engagement to raise profile of Circular Economy and Sustainability team’s services both internally and externally, attracting customers and new accounts. Networking and building strong relationships with clients and other partners in the market.
- Management of key accounts to develop creative corporate responsibility and sustainability strategy concepts and content.
- Performing sustainability-related audits; evaluating and testing processes; participating in client meetings and preparing reports.
- Leading from the front on the development and delivery of proposals for projects for a wide range of clients.
- Being or becoming a sustainability sector leader, who is recognised on a national level as an expert in the field, maintaining a detailed and up to date knowledge of the market and customer needs.
- Overseeing technically complex consultancy projects, and their project managers.
- Managing, coaching and developing the Circular Economy and Sustainability team, to help grow skills and capability, which will lead to further opportunities.
- Working closely with other Ricardo Energy & Environment teams (e.g. Energy, Water, Air Quality, Sustainable Transport etc) to provide a complete service to our clients.
Skills and behaviours:
- Candidates will have a Science, Accountancy, or Engineering, qualification/background with practical and management career experience with a focus on delivering a selection of sustainability projects.
- A Bachelor’s degree (2.1 or above), Master’s degree or PhD in a relevant engineering or science subject with extensive experience in the field.
- Excellent business development skills as demonstrated through a track record of identifying and securing new consultancy work in the above fields.
- A passion for delivering high value work to clients, identifying and securing new opportunities and bringing new ideas to the table for successfully growing the business.
- Flexible approach including a willingness and ability to work on a wide range of topics, some of which will be new to you.
- Analytical skills with ability to identify, develop and implement business improvement solutions.
- Great communication skills and highly emotionally intelligent with strong stakeholder engagement skills and an ability to build consensus amongst groups of often very different stakeholders.
- Excellent numerical skills, report writing and oral presentation skills (in English).
- Effective and proactive team worker, capable of supporting and developing peers and junior staff members.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.