Business Sustainability Specialist
- Role type
- Full time, Permanent
- Bristol, Glasgow, London, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, transport, air quality, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our clients to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Our Circular Economy and Sustainability business area was recently created to bring a technical focus to the services we deliver in both the public sector and corporate sustainability market. The team helps our clients respond to issues across the sustainability agenda including: climate and product risk management, measurement and verification, and sustainability reporting and assurance. We support our clients on a variety of projects across a range of sectors from strategy through to data collection and verification to implementation.
We are at the forefront of current trends in sustainability and engage with client staff at all levels to provide insight into these developments. We are seeking individuals who are dedicated and capable of helping us to develop and grow our dynamic Circular Economy and Sustainability business area that is focused on making a difference for our clients and to the world we live in.
We are seeking an experienced Business Sustainability Specialist to complement our existing team and develop our business further with new clients. This is an excellent opportunity to make your mark in a growing business unit within a leading environmental consultancy. You will have a proven track record, strong market credentials and great customer and commercial skills. You will have demonstrable consultancy experience of working on sustainability projects at senior levels in the private sector and will work closely with other senior colleagues within the business to grow and deliver the team’s portfolio of projects.
With involvement in networking, developing leads, account management of key clients, winning and delivering consultancy projects to private sector customers, this role will involve developing our technical propositions and tailoring these for specific parts of the private sector, and identifying opportunities to present our capabilities to new clients. In addition, you will need to be involved in delivering the work and in supporting the wider team in developing and nurturing their skills.
The role will be based in one of our main offices, London, Oxfordshire or Manchester, in line with the successful candidate’s preferences.
Specific requirements of the role are to undertake a range of activities depending on business needs, including:
- Leading a range of proactive business development activities including identifying, engaging and networking with both new and existing clients.
- Networking and building strong relationships with clients and other partners in the market
- Management of key accounts in order to retain and grow our service offering.
- Developing and overseeing market engagement to raise profile of Circular Economy and Sustainability team’s services both internally and externally, attracting customers and new accounts.
- Performing sustainability-related audits; evaluating and testing processes; participating in client meetings and preparing reports.
- Working closely with the Business Area Manager and the Technical Director to develop and deliver the team’s growth plans and identify and secure new consultancy opportunities to achieve the team’s annual targets.
- Leading from the front on the development and delivery of proposals for projects for a wide range of clients.
- Being or becoming a sustainability sector leader, who is recognised on a national level as an expert in the field, maintaining a detailed and up to date knowledge of the market and customer needs.
- Overseeing technically complex consultancy projects, and their project managers.
- Managing, coaching and developing the Circular Economy and Sustainability team, to help grow skills and capability, which will lead to further opportunities.
- Working closely with other Ricardo Energy & Environment teams (e.g. Energy, Water, Air Quality, Sustainable Transport etc).
- Being responsible for and delivering sales, revenue and profit against agreed targets, and monitoring progress towards those targets.
Key competencies and experience:
You will have a Science, Accountancy, or Engineering, qualification/background with practical and management career experience with a focus on delivering a selection of sustainability projects. This might include sustainability strategies, reporting and assurance, tangible projects and assessment methods like Life Cycle Assessment, through to Corporate and Environmental, Social and Governance reporting and strategies and other data collection and analytical tools. Knowledge including recent developments with the Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures, Global Reporting Initiative, Integrated Reporting, and integration of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) would also be useful. Finally, success in securing green finance and sustainable funding would also be relevant.
- A Bachelor’s degree (2.1 or above), Master’s degree or PhD in a relevant engineering or science subject with extensive experience in the field.
- Excellent technical knowledge and knowledge of key policy issues in the field.
- Strong networking skills and experience building strategic relationships with private businesses and public sector organisations.
- Extensive consultancy experience and/or working in a corporate CSR/sustainability team.
- Demonstrable track record in work winning.
- Extensive project management skills and/or business development experience.
Skills and behaviours:
- Excellent business development skills as demonstrated through a track record of identifying and securing new consultancy work in the above fields.
- A passion for delivering high value work to clients, identifying and securing new opportunities and bringing new ideas to the table for successfully growing the business.
- Flexible approach including a willingness and ability to work on a wide range of topics, some of which will be new to you.
- Analytical skills with ability to identify, develop and implement business improvement solutions.
- Great communication skills and highly emotionally intelligent with strong stakeholder engagement skills and an ability to build consensus amongst groups of often very different stakeholders.
- Excellent numerical skills, report writing and oral presentation skills (in English).
- Effective and proactive team worker, capable of supporting and developing peers and junior staff members.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.