Consultant/Senior/Principal – Command, Control and Signalling Engineering
- Role type
- Bristol, Derby, London, York
- Closing Date
Position Title: Consultant – Command, Control and Signalling Engineering
Grade: Consultant , Senior Consultant or Principal Consultant
Department: Ricardo Rail UK
Location: London, Bristol, Derby or York
Reporting to: Head of CCS
Ricardo is a global strategic, technical and environmental consultancy and specialist niche manufacturer of high-performance products. We also provide independent assurance services in the rail sector. With a century of delivering excellence and innovation, Ricardo employs over 2,700 professional engineers, consultants and scientists world-wide. Our activities cover a range of market sectors including passenger car, commercial vehicle, rail, defence, motorsport, motorcycle, off-highway, marine, clean energy and power generation. Our client list includes the world’s railway operators and infrastructure owners, original equipment manufacturers, supply chain organisations, energy companies, financial institutions and government agencies. Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion, we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
Ricardo Rail is Ricardo’s rail division. It is a 600-person multi-disciplinary railway consultancy providing expert advisory and independent assurance services across the UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia. The UK Rail business employees c120 consultants in offices in London, Preston, York, Bristol and Derby.
The role we are seeking to fill is that of a Signalling, Telecommunications & Train Control Consultant to support our Command Control and Signalling Consultancy, Safety Engineering and Independent Assurance business areas. You will work on the delivery of projects providing engineering consultancy and safety engineering services to projects and their deliverables and directly to the client as required. You will apply your engineering expertise and experience to a range of appropriate projects including generic mainline UK signalling and control systems (including ERTMS), metro signalling and control system (including CBTC) and light rail systems. In addition to this you will also work on the independent assurance side contributing to NoBo, DeBo, AsBo and ISA projects. You will be required to manage the delivery of your own work and because Ricardo encourages development you will be given the opportunity to work in other areas and as a project manager and manage smaller safety engineering and consultancy projects to timescale, cost and quality.
Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Provide expertise and advice to Ricardo Rail and external clients on good signalling engineering practice and safety engineering techniques.
- Support and contribute to the delivery of projects, including attending meetings with clients and other stakeholders.
- Develop proposals and undertake business development activities to enhance client relationships and secure further work.
- Project manage small and medium sized projects.
- Interface with other domain experts from other disciplines within Ricardo Rail.
- Contribute to assurance projects (NoBo/DeBo/AsBo / ISA).
- Represent Ricardo Rail at industry events.
- Maintain and develop your own competence and knowledge.
Qualifications / Experience:
- Degree educated in a suitable engineering discipline.
- Chartered Engineer through the IET/IRSE.
- Experience of safety engineering and risk assessment techniques.
- Experience in UK signalling systems such as:
o Signalling Principals
o Train Detection systems
- Experience of Signalling or Telecommunications Design, Test & Commissioning and / or Asset Management activities providing the candidate with a strong foundation of railway signalling or telecommunications expertise.
- Experience of independent assurance, client acceptance roles and the application of safety engineering and risk assessment principles are also highly desirable
- A good understanding of applicable standards relating to signalling systems including TSIs and UK standards is required.
- Analytical and methodical problem solving.
- A visible passion for the rail industry.
- Versatile and adaptable, able to operate under pressure.
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal.
- Flexibility to travel in the UK and short durations overseas if required.