Geographic Information System (GIS) Consultant
- Role type
- Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Bristol, Flexible, London, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
The Environmental Evidence and Data team of over 100 consultants, scientists and engineers develop and apply state-of-the-art tools and techniques to deliver effective solutions to difficult air quality problems. Our team includes knowledge leaders on air quality measurement, inventory development, modelling, exposure assessment, chemical modelling, public health impacts, information management and data visualisation. Our clients benefit from the full range of air quality services that result in solutions and strategies tailored to addressing challenges at local, city and national scales. We deliver hundreds of projects every year, to public and private sector clients in the UK and overseas, including flagship programmes such as the UK’s national air quality measurement network (AURN), the National Atmospheric Emissions Inventory (NAEI) and the annual national scale air quality modelling assessment on behalf of UK Government.
We now have an opportunity for a GIS expert to support a range of exciting and innovative projects within our Inventories team at both a Consultant and Senior Consultant level.
You will manage your time across several projects and business areas, although the focus of this role is to support work in our Emissions Inventories and Projections work. This will include contributing in all phases - from supporting the preparation of proposals to win new contracts, through researching and analysing information and data, to contributing to reports that are delivered to clients. You will be responsible for the quality and delivery of your work and will liaise with other consultants to incorporate your contribution into wider project outputs.
Specific tasks will be dependent on your level of experience but are likely to include supporting desktop and web-based GIS solutions on projects that are delivered to clients through researching and analysing information and data. You will be responsible for the quality and delivery of your work and will work alongside other consultants to incorporate your contribution into wider project outputs.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- A Bachelors (2.1 or above), Masters or PhD in a scientific subject with the use of GIS
- Experience in ESRI ArcGIS packages is essential, but exposure to other non-ESRI based GIS is an advantage
- Earth Observation experience is highly desirable
- SQL or other extensive database experience is highly desirable
- Business development capabilities and experience is advantageous
- Proficiency in different programming or scripting languages like Python and R
- Strong Microsoft Excel and Access skills
- Experience with Database server technologies such as PostgreSQL or other Big Data platform
- Experience in adapting to new technologies
- Experience in using version control systems such as Git
- Experience in a consultancy or in a customer facing commercial environment is an advantage
- Applicants will ideally have an understanding of air quality and climate change issues, gained as part of their studies or work experience, and enjoy working with ‘Big’ data.
- Relevant work experience is an advantage, but not essential
- Strong numeracy skills and a talent for numerical analysis are essential
- Effective communication skills, both written and oral and basic presentation skills.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Self-reliant, proactive and good problem solving skills
- Flexibility, resilience and enthusiasm
- Strong team working skills
If you enjoy working with data, and are keen to make a difference, then we welcome your application.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.