Digital Development Manager
- Role type
- Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
- Closing Date
Ricardo is a leading energy and environmental consultancy that works with governments, international donors and the private sector to reduce the impacts of climate change and enable sustainable business growth through award winning consultancy and technical expertise.
Our Digital Services team work in collaboration with Ricardo’s wide range of internationally recognised experts and scientists across a range of environmental sectors, creating new and innovative solutions to tackle some of the world’s most pressing challenges. With some exciting growth plans you’ll be joining the digital services team with opportunities to work on a wide variety of digital projects and technically challenging work both nationally and internationally.
Examples of our work include:
Enterprise grade software applications that consist of real-time data collection, ratification and dynamic reporting features for national and international air quality and energy management systems
Workflow data management systems that have helped improve the efficiency and operation of large scale programmes for clients including Ofgem, Big Lottery and Department for Transport
Industry leading emergency response solutions, for the National Chemical Emergency Centre. Our software helps telephone emergency responders to quickly identify the correct procedure to be followed in the event of an incident involving hazardous materials, helping customers and the emergency services to save lives 24/7/365.
As Digital Development Manager, you’ll take on a key management role within the Digital Services team with the remit to help shape, influence and stamp your mark on the development approaches for Ricardo Energy & Environments Digital software development team. You will lead on planning and prioritising the development tasks, assigning the right resources across the software portfolio ensuring consistent quality standards are met, using the most appropriate technologies that meet customer expectations and ensuring projects are delivered successfully and collaboratively within the business making use of the tools and services we help facilitate for the business. You will also have responsibility to define the plan and facilitate execution of release cycles, helping to ensure stakeholders are fully informed on their role within that process. On occasions you will also get involved in hands-on development, helping the team out where required.
- Ensure support requests are scheduled and managed in line with SLAs and customer expectations, finding the right balance between development and support effort to minimise developer interruptions.
- Understand and balance the difference between writing perfect code vs business needs.
- Regularly meet with team members and provide coaching/performance management.
- Assist in the recruitment (interviews, managing tasks) of new members of the development team when required.
- Running as well overseeing development projects from design to post-deployment.
- The design and implementation of complex systems throughout their lifecycle.
- Deploying new projects into the existing systems infrastructure.
- Writing code specifications and planning and running sprints.
Skills and Attributes Required:
- Proven experience in modern PHP-based MVC frameworks (e.g. Zend/ Symfony).
- A knowledgeable Web developer who understands the following to an advanced level
- Knowledge of web standards/accessibility, Privacy-by-Design.
- Working knowledge of GitHub/ GitLab
- Ability to manage work through Jira and ensure development team follow set processes.
- Understanding of SEO principles.
- Experience working with c#.net developers and SQL DBAs would be preferred.
- API development experience is preferred but not essential
This is a fast-paced and dependable environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. We are committed to our employees and will ensure you receive the support and training from the wider business to help your career develop and progress into a wide range of exciting future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, flexible working, and the opportunity to make a difference in a competitive and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.
Visit us at ee.ricardo.com, follow us on Twitter.