Senior Rail Project Engineer
- Role type
- Closing Date
Position Title: Rail Project Engineer - Senior Consultant
Department: Ricardo Rail UK
Due to continued growth, Ricardo Rail are looking to strengthen its rolling stock expertise to support the delivery of existing and new projects. The roles we are seeking to fill are that of Rail Project Engineering Senior Consultants to support the delivery of our rolling stock projects from our London Office.
As a Senior Consultant you will work on the delivery of projects providing expert advice to the project deliverables and directly to the client as required. Our projects cover the whole project lifecycle including: feasibility studies, procurement, concept design, detailed design, testing, independent assurance, operations and maintenance.
As we also undertake independent assurance work you will be required to review and assess compliance with standards such as EC Directives, TSIs, Railway Group Standards and other related standards of which a working knowledge is required, including testing of railway equipment.
Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- To bid, win and deliver projects.
- To apply industry knowledge and professional judgement in collating, analysing and synthesising appropriate information in line with industry standards and company procedures.
- Work with clients to understand ultimate objectives and desired outcomes for each project.
- As part of a team, lead and deliver specific work packages to quality, time and budget.
- Manage projects and deliver work-streams, taking direction from the Project Director when required. Ensure that the work scope of work and time budgets are clear, monitored and managed, and that risks to delivering to quality, on time and within budget against acceptance criteria are anticipated and managed. Initiate timely and accurate invoicing so that invoicing targets are met. Ensure overall client satisfaction targets are met throughout the project lifecycle.
- Manage and deliver proposals, identifying potential risks, devising the approach, specifying clear acceptance criteria, resourcing and costs.
- To review technical submissions from clients as required.
- Take the commercial lead for projects and proposals.
- To check and/or review the work of colleagues and provide constructive feedback as required.
Qualifications / Experience:
- Engineering Degree qualified – Mechanical or Electrical, or equivalent industry experience.
- Chartered Engineer through a relevant engineering institution (IMechE/ IET) or working to achieve.
- Experience in providing consultancy in the field of passenger or freight rolling stock.
- A working knowledge of relevant standards.
- Strong skills in Excel and other analytic packages.
- Good knowledge of UK rail industry.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate with many audiences.
- A visible passion for the rail industry.
- Has an excellent reputation within the Rail industry with many client contacts.
- Flexibility to travel in the UK and short durations overseas if required.
Ricardo is a global strategic, technical and environmental consultancy and specialist niche manufacturer of high performance products. We also provide independent assurance services in the rail sector. With a century of delivering excellence and innovation, we employ over 2,500 professional engineers, consultants and scientists world-wide.
Our activities cover a range of market sectors including passenger car, commercial vehicle, rail, defence, motorsport, motorcycle, off-highway, marine, clean energy and power generation.
Our client list includes the world’s major transportation original equipment manufacturers, supply chain organisations, energy companies, financial institutions and government agencies.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
Ricardo Rail is a global multi-disciplinary rail consultancy providing services in expert advice and independent assurance across the UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia where we employ c500 consultants working on rolling stock, infrastructure and independent assurance projects.
Our UK Rail business employs c120 consultants in offices in London, Preston, York, Bristol and Derby, which is our head office.
We provide Consultancy and Certification services across rail infrastructure and rolling stock projects to clients including infrastructure managers, train manufactures, equipment manufacturers and maintainers.
Our shared goal is to be the natural choice provider of expert advice and independent assurance services to the global rail industry. Care, integrity and excellence will always drive our long-term relationships with clients and colleagues.