Assistant Project Manager
- Role type
- Closing Date
Position Title: Assistant Project Manager
Department: Ricardo Rail UK
Reporting to: Team Leader
Due to continued growth we are now looking to strengthen our Project management team to support the delivery of existing and new projects. The role is to work within Ricardo Rail UK to help deliver and manage small projects, including document control and governance. There will be a need to work autonomously, and to interface with the client, other members of the team and the management team. The Assistant Project Manager will provide support to the Team Leaders and Project Managers within the Ricardo Rail UK delivery team for the resourcing and delivery of projects, and to act as a Project Manager for several smaller projects within the portfolio.
This role is ideally suited for an enthusiastic individual who is seeking a career in Project Management. Ricardo in return will provide training and support in for the right person achieving Project Management accreditation.
Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- The Assistant Project Management role will include the following activities:
- Project Manage a portfolio of smaller value projects.
- Implement and promote Project Management principles such as resource planning, change control, risk, financial and documentation management.
- Project and management reporting.
- Supporting the Project Manager / Senior Project Manager in day to day project activities, for example, taking minutes, collating information and helping to manage the project team.
- Support the Project Management Office within Ricardo, driving the use of the best practices tools and techniques for effective and consistent ways of working.
- Support Project Engineers in ensuring that all risks are understood, considered and mitigated during the production of a bid and within the project lifecycle.
- Build and maintain good client relationships through proactive communication and actions to fulfil client and business expectations.
- Manage and maintain central data entry and data exchange with internal and external parties to support management systems’ core business processes and to meet its global requirements.
- Provide a first level of response to all enquires and complaints, forwarding to other subject experts where applicable, to ensure a high level of customer service.
- Identify, suggest and assist managers with implementing change and developments to the administration processes and procedures to meet future business demands and improve current efficiency.
- Identify the correct authorisation and approvals route for each enquiry/proposal (depending on project profile and authority levels) and implement that by arranging with reviewers and providing the required information in a timely manner.
- Convert winning bids into live projects and input into CRM and Changepoint accordingly and set up milestones and activities as required.
- Identify, manage and input project opportunities to support the Team Leader.
- To undertake the role of Bid Co-ordinator, as required.
- Potential travel within the UK and on occasions internationally in support of projects.
Qualifications / Experience:
- Experience of working in a business/ client services environment.
- Proven experience of managing small projects through the full project lifecycle.
- Flexible and results-oriented approach to meet varying and competing client and business demands.
- Strong organisational skills.
- A proactive approach to problem solving with strong communication and diplomacy skills to negotiate and influence internal and external clients.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient in the use of Word, Excel, Project, and Power point.
- Prepared to undergo random drugs and alcohol testing and/or medical screening as required.
- Be able to learn and proficiently operate Ricardo Rail’s project management and CRM software tools.
- Knowledge of the Rail industry, with project experience.
- Project Management qualifications e.g. PRINCE2/APM.
Ricardo is a global strategic, technical and environmental consultancy and specialist niche manufacturer of high performance products. We also provide independent assurance services in the rail sector. With a century of delivering excellence and innovation, we employ over 2,500 professional engineers, consultants and scientists world-wide.
Our activities cover a range of market sectors including passenger car, commercial vehicle, rail, defence, motorsport, motorcycle, off-highway, marine, clean energy and power generation.
Our client list includes the world’s major transportation original equipment manufacturers, supply chain organisations, energy companies, financial institutions and government agencies.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
Ricardo Rail is a global multi-disciplinary rail consultancy providing services in expert advice and independent assurance across the UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia where we employ c600 consultants working on infrastructure, rolling stock and independent assurance projects.
Our UK Rail business employs c120 consultants in offices in London, Preston, York, Bristol and Derby, which is our head office.
We provide consultancy and independent assurance services, including NoBo, DeBo, AsBo and ISA, across infrastructure and rolling stock to clients including infrastructure managers, train manufacturers, equipment manufacturers and maintainers.
Our shared goal is to be the natural choice provider of expert advice and independent assurance services to the global rail industry. Care, integrity and excellence will always drive our long-term relationships with clients and colleagues.