Analyst Consultant - Air Quality
- Role type
- Full time, Permanent
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
The Air Quality & Environment Practice team of over 100 consultants, scientists and engineers develop and apply state-of-the-art tools and techniques to deliver effective solutions to difficult air quality problems. Our team includes knowledge leaders on air quality measurement, inventory development, modelling, exposure assessment, chemical modelling, public health impacts, information management and data visualisation.
Our clients benefit from the full range of air quality services that result in solutions and strategies tailored to addressing challenges at local, city and national scales. We deliver hundreds of projects every year, to public and private sector clients in the UK and overseas, including flagship programmes such as the UK’s national air quality measurement network (AURN), the National Atmospheric Emissions Inventory (NAEI) and the annual national scale air quality modelling assessment on behalf of UK Government.
We have an opportunity for an Analyst Consultant to support a range of exciting and innovative projects within our Air Quality team.
To support our Air Quality Modelling team, you will be working on the delivery of technical projects including communication with clients and managing your time across several business areas. You will work closely with colleagues in Glasgow, Harwell, London and Manchester offices to deliver high quality solutions on a range of projects including environmental impact assessment for proposed developments and scenarios for policy development.
As a Monitoring Analyst, you will be responsible for carrying out regular site calibration visits across London to ensure that the monitoring equipment is providing the correct results and giving reliable measurements of air quality for our customers. This involves the on-site testing and calibration of equipment and subsequent data recording and processing, conducted to strict quality requirements
You will also be required to review and ratify air pollution measurements using our in-house software systems and strict methods prescribed by UK Law and European Directives. It would be an advantage to have an initial understanding of current air pollution problems and legislation aimed to address these issues, although comprehensive training is provided.
Specific tasks will be dependent on your level of experience, but are likely to include:
- Data analysis using Excel, dispersion model set up and verification
- Results analysis, report writing and completing tasks to time and costs
- The testing, calibration and documentation of air quality measuring instrumentation
- Liaison with site operators to arrange visits
You will be responsible for the quality and delivery of your work and will work alongside other consultants including Knowledge Leaders and Business Area Managers to incorporate your contribution into wider project outputs.
Key competencies and experience:
- A Bachelors (2.1 or above), Masters or PhD in a scientific subject, candidates who can demonstrate relevant experience will also be considered
- The ability to conduct research, gather and analyse data accurately and methodically
- Full, clean UK driving licence
- An appreciation of health and safety issues for field work
- Strong numeracy skills and a talent for numerical analysis are essential preferably including ‘R’
- Strong MS Excel skills
- Preferably Geographic Information System (GIS) skills and experience in Atmospheric Dispersion Modelling System (ADMS or other similar dispersion models) would be advantageous
Skills and behaviours:
- Strong problem solving and creative thinking skills
- Effective communication skills, both written and oral and basic presentation skills.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Flexibility, resilience and enthusiasm
- Strong team working skills, with the ability to work independently when required
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.