Analyst Consultant - Water & Environment
- Role type
- Full time, Permanent
- Closing Date
This post holder will join the Water and Environment part of the Ricardo Energy and Environment business. Our practice specializes in delivering a comprehensive range of services for water, ecology, and environmental impact assessments both on land and in water from source to sea. Our clients range from: water companies where we work to understand environmental trends to support water resource and environmental management issues now and for the future; government bodies (national and local) where projects embrace determining how to identify and assess water quality impacts, re-use of nutrients, river and wetland restoration, coastal and fluvial flood risk and; infrastructure-focused work for airports, developers and businesses where water-related efficiency and quality require assessment for environment benefit.
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining water, ecology, energy, climate change, agriculture and chemical risk expertise with strong IT, data analysis, economics and environmental impact assessment capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work. We are nationally and internationally recognised for our expertise in planning and overseeing complex and sensitive projects. Therefore, whilst most of your work will be focused in the water and environment team, you may from time to time, have the opportunity to work with and for other parts of the company providing you with the opportunity to further expand your experience.
We are looking for a person who is passionate about the environment with a strong understanding about the importance of water and land in the environment. Being eager to learn, keen to carry out field work with accurate data collection, write reports, analyze and present data (graphically and through GIS mapping) are all essential elements of this role. The successful candidate will be required to support the senior and principal consultants and have the ability and keenness to work on different project with varying subject matter. The individual must be able to demonstrate a desire to take ownership of specific tasks as identified by the project management and will be expected to support bids through collation of information as requested.
You will be expected to manage your own time effectively and efficiently on a range of projects. You will be expected to adhere to our internal QA process for projects. Delivering a support role to more senior members of staff will be a critical element of this role. This will include, as requested, development of GIS maps and more advanced technical assessments such as HRA, WFD and SEA.
Key competencies and experience:
- Bachelors (2.1 or above) and a Masters in a relevant environmental discipline (e.g. water resources, environmental science, environmental consultancy etc)
- Demonstration of understanding of UK water policy
- GIS and mapping abilities
- Enthusiasm to learn new skills and carry out field work across the country
- An aptitude for practical manual tasks, learning, and effective problem solving
- Good written and report writing skills
- Clean driving licence
- Experience in a key specific area of water company management
- More advanced skills in GIS use.
- Experience in a consultancy environment
- Proven environmental and/or water sector experience
Skills and behaviours:
- Excellent team working skills
- Strong communication skills and a close attention to detail
- Excellent report writing
- Ambitious, enthusiastic and self-motivated to thrive in this busy and demanding environment
- Good IT and GIS skills in commonly used software, e.g. Microsoft Office, internet, email
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to analyse large data sets
- Flexibility to transfer skills to other practices outside of water and environment when required
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.