Business Area Manager - Water / Infrastructure
- Role type
- Bristol, London, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
The Water and Environment practice of Ricardo Energy & Environment, offers a comprehensive range of specialist services within the environmental consultancy sector. Nationally and internationally recognised for our expertise in planning and overseeing complex and sensitive projects, our skills have been utilised by a wide range of clients within the public and private sectors including the European Commission, government, water companies, infrastructure providers and developers.
We are seeking a Business Area Manager to play a leading role in our Water & Environment team. The successful candidate will have extensive consultancy experience of working with the water industry, within infrastructure and/or on policy-related issues. The successful candidate will work closely with the team and the Water & Environment Practice Director to grow and deliver the team’s portfolio of projects.
Projects are across environmental impact assessment (EIA), water resources and quality and ecology. Candidates will have a very strong track record in both winning and delivering complex projects for a wide range of clients. The role will be based in one of our main Water & Environment offices (London, Bristol, Manchester or Harwell), in line with the successful candidate’s preferences.
Specific requirements of the role are to undertake a range of activities depending on business needs, including:
- Lead from the front on the development of technically challenging proposals for competitively tendered projects for a wide range of private and public sector clients in the water industry and infrastructure sector;
- Lead a range of proactive business development activities including identifying, engaging and networking with both new and existing clients in both the private sector and public sector;
- Work closely with other senior managers to develop and deliver the team’s growth plans, identifying and securing new opportunities to help achieve targets;
- Manage and deliver consultancy projects in water resources, environmental impact assessment and/or ecology including direction of staff and associates;
- Maintain a detailed and up to date knowledge of water policy, planning and/or developments in ecology.
- Work closely with other Ricardo Energy & Environment teams (e.g. Energy, Waste, Air Quality, Transport etc) and Ricardo divisions to develop joint offerings aimed at specific areas of interest, bringing together the combined skills and expertise of the wider Ricardo Group
- Present Ricardo Energy & Environment's work at conferences and technical meetings;
You will bring extensive network of contacts and business development experience with demonstrable success in growing your business / team with the requisite technical experience, alongside leadership capabilities and a strong track record in client relationship management and business acumen. You will have the drive and determination to succeed in growing your business area and must be comfortable working at senior level in a consultancy environment.
Demonstrating technical credibility in your field, you will be able to evidence your experience of directing projects and delivery of client outcomes, preferably gained within an environmental or planning consultancy.
Key Skills & Experience:
- Knowledge and experience of either the water industry or other infrastructure sectors.
- Strong business development skills as demonstrated through a track record of identifying and securing new profitable consultancy work in the above fields
- A passion for delivering high quality work, identifying and securing new opportunities on a wide range of topics and bringing new ideas to the table for successfully growing the business;
- Strong leadership skills and an ability to create a motivated and high performance team;
- Have personal drive and determination to succeed, be self-determining and able to positively contribute to the business at senior management level in a consultancy environment;
- Demonstrable success in growing a business area / team and a strong track record in client relationship management;
- Technical credibility in your field of expertise;
- Proven experience of leading large complex bids including the management of bid teams, development of methodology and presentation and developing follow-on work with customers and creating new business opportunities; and
- A Bachelor’s degree (2.1 or above), Masters degree or PhD in a relevant discipline
- Strong communications skills.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment strives to be an equal opportunities employer