Rolling Stock Engineer -Consultant/Senior Consultant
- Role type
- Closing Date
Position Title: Rolling Stock Engineering Consultant
Department: Ricardo Rail UK
Due to continued growth, Ricardo Rail Division are looking to strengthen its rolling stock expertise to support the delivery of existing and new projects. The roles we are seeking to fill are that of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering consultants, to drive the delivery of our rolling stock projects from one of our UK offices.
As a consultant you will be given the opportunity to gain experience of working on the delivery of projects, providing expert advice to the project deliverables and directly to the client as required. Our projects cover the whole project lifecycle including: feasibility studies, procurement, concept design, detailed design, testing, independent assurance, operations and maintenance.
As we also undertake independent assurance work you will gain valuable experience of reviewing and assessing compliance with standards such as EC Directives, TSIs, Railway Group Standards and other related standards of which a working knowledge is required, including testing of railway equipment.
This is excellent opportunity for Mechanical and Electrical Engineers of all levels, who wish to excel their career in an industry leading consultancy, that is known for its flexible and supportive culture, and which champions and drives the need for career development. Ricardo Rail Division are committed to the Industry need, to develop consultants who will ultimately become leaders of their field and will drive technology advances in the Rail industry in years to come.
Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Work with clients to understand ultimate objectives and desired outcomes for each project.
- As part of a team, lead and deliver specific work packages to quality, time and budget.
- Support the management of projects and deliver work-streams, taking direction from the Project Director when required. Ensure that the work scope of work and time budgets are clear, monitored and managed.
- Engage with clients and show energy and passion for excellence.
- Make sure that risks to delivering to quality, on time and within budget against acceptance criteria are anticipated and managed.
- Initiate timely and accurate invoicing so that invoicing targets are met. Ensure overall client satisfaction targets are met throughout the project lifecycle.
- Support bidding, winning and delivery of projects.
- Keep up to date with technical developments within the industry.
- Create world class reports.
- Add value to the Rail Industry by reducing costs and improving safety and reliability.
Qualifications / Experience:
- Engineering qualification, or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience of working in a consultancy environment and/ or delivering on engineering design projects in the field of passenger or freight rolling stock. Candidates with similar experience, and who have the competencies to cross train will be considered.
- Can demonstrate a knowledge of some, or all the railway sector, its structure, engineering disciplines, major stakeholders and use of standards and assurance regimes.
- Strong skills in Excel and other analytic packages.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate with many audiences.
- A visible passion for the rail industry.
- Flexibility to travel in the UK and short durations overseas if required.
Ricardo is a global strategic, technical and environmental consultancy and specialist niche manufacturer of high performance products. We also provide independent assurance services in the rail sector. With a century of delivering excellence and innovation, we employ over 2,500 professional engineers, consultants and scientists world-wide.
Our activities cover a range of market sectors including passenger car, commercial vehicle, rail, defence, motorsport, motorcycle, off-highway, marine, clean energy and power generation.
Our client list includes the world’s major transportation original equipment manufacturers, supply chain organisations, energy companies, financial institutions and government agencies.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
Ricardo Rail Division
Ricardo Rail Division is a global multi-disciplinary rail consultancy providing services in expert advice and independent assurance across the UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia where we employ c500 consultants working on rolling stock, infrastructure and independent assurance projects.
Our UK Rail business employs c120 consultants in offices in London, Preston, York, Bristol and Derby, which is our head office.
We provide Consultancy and Certification services across rail infrastructure and rolling stock projects to clients including infrastructure managers, train manufactures, equipment manufacturers and maintainers.
Our shared goal is to be the natural choice provider of expert advice and independent assurance services to the global rail industry. Care, integrity and excellence will always drive our long-term relationships with clients and colleagues.