Project Engineer – Rolling Stock Design
- Role type
- Closing Date
Position Title: Project Engineer – Rolling Stock Design
Department: Ricardo Rail UK
Reporting to: Team Leader - Rolling Stock Design
Ricardo is a global strategic, technical and environmental consultancy and specialist niche manufacturer of high performance products. We also provide independent assurance services in the rail sector. With a century of delivering excellence and innovation, Ricardo employs over 2,700 professional engineers, consultants and scientists world-wide.
Our activities cover a range of market sectors including passenger car, commercial vehicle, rail, defence, motorsport, motorcycle, off-highway, marine, clean energy and power generation.
Our client list includes the world’s railway operators and infrastructure owners, original equipment manufacturers, supply chain organisations, energy companies, financial institutions and government agencies.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion, we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
Ricardo Rail is Ricardo’s rail division. It is a 600-person multi-disciplinary railway consultancy providing expert advisory and independent assurance services across the UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia.
Our shared goal is to provide class-leading quality and technical excellence; care and integrity drive our long-term relationships with clients and colleagues.
The UK Rail business employees c120 consultants in offices in London, Preston, York, Bristol and Derby.
Due to continued growth, Ricardo Rail are now looking to strengthen our rolling stock team to support the delivery of existing and new projects.
- The role we are seeking to fill is that of a Project Engineer support the project manager in coordinating and driving forward the technical and engineering aspects of rolling stock design projects.
- In this key role you will work on the delivery of projects providing expert guidance and advice to the project deliverables and directly to the client and other stakeholders as required.
- You will be responsible for ensuring the project team are working efficiently in producing technically accurate designs on a right first-time basis and that all engineering requirements are captured and incorporated.
- Our projects cover the whole project lifecycle including: feasibility studies, procurement, concept design, detailed design, testing, approvals, operations and maintenance.
- You will have experience in mechanical and electrical systems on passenger and freight rolling stock such as brake systems, couplers, structures, bogies, doors, gangways, interiors, cab systems, electrical systems etc.
Responsibilities / Accountabilities
- To bid, win and deliver projects.
- Work with clients and other stakeholders to understand the ultimate objectives and desired outcomes for each project.
- Capture engineering requirements for the project and ensure these are incorporated into the design at the correct time.
- Lead and deliver specific work packages to quality, time and budget.
- Take the engineering lead for projects and proposals.
- Ensure high standards of technical/engineering accuracy.
- Manage and deliver proposals, identifying potential risks, devising the approach, specifying clear acceptance criteria, resourcing and costs.
Qualifications / Experience:
- Engineering Degree qualified
- Chartered Engineer through a relevant engineering institution (IET/IMechE) or able to achieve.
- Considerable relevant experience in delivering consultancy and/or engineering design projects in the field of passenger rolling stock.
- A working knowledge of relevant rail/engineering standards.
- Strong IT skills
- Good knowledge of UK rail industry
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate with many audiences
- A visible passion for the rail industry
- Experience of leading and managing project teams
- Flexibility to travel in the UK and short durations overseas if required