Senior Climate Change and Energy Policy Consultant
- Role type
- Full time, Permanent
- Oxfordshire (Harwell), Utrecht, Bristol, Flexible, Glasgow, London, Manchester
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
We have an opportunity for a Senior climate change and energy efficiency policy specialist to support business development and delivery within our Policy, Strategy and Economics Practice. We are one of Europe’s leading consultancies supporting the UK Government, the European Commission, international governments and international bodies such as the Asian Development Bank and World Bank in the development, implementation and appraisal of climate change policy.
You will work within a team that wins and delivers a wide range of projects covering policy option development, design, impact assessment, evaluation and carries out a wide range of capacity building and stakeholder engagement activities including workshop delivery and guidance production. The team works across many energy and climate change disciplines and you will bring technical expertise on one or more of these. They include carbon pricing policies including: emission trading, carbon crediting and carbon taxes; energy efficiency policies and instruments including white certificates, energy management standard, product standards and non-market approaches; renewable policies including portfolio standards and feed in tariff mechanisms.
Your work will involve project management of medium sized but potentially international projects, technical delivery and business development activities including competitive bidding, client and partner relationship management and participation in promotional events. You will also be responsible for supporting the development of more junior staff within the practice. You will work flexibly within Ricardo Energy & Environment’s consultancy business, collaborating with specialists in fields such as renewable and heat supply, transport policy and economic analysis.
We are looking for a Senior Consultant to join our dynamic team. Our work is focused on strategic policy advice in the field of climate change mitigation and energy efficiency. You will work on high profile projects that play an integral role in driving regulatory approaches in the UK, Europe and worldwide. These projects could include techno-economic analysis to support the implementation of the UK Government’s Clean Growth Strategy, advising the European Commission on the ongoing evolution of the EU Emissions Trading Scheme and supporting the World Bank’s Partnership for Market readiness programme.
You will support clients at differing stages of the policy journey, from those in mature policy environments looking to refine their approaches to meet new challenges, to those in developing and emerging economies looking for policy approaches to help them meet their new domestic and international commitments. You will use your technical skills to provide insights to support policy decisions, and to support client capacity development.
You will have the capability to work across the project life cycle, from early stage prospecting through bidding and the successful delivery of projects. You will have a strong commercial awareness and energy and enthusiasm for growing the business in your technical area. Ideally, you will have experience in leading or working on proposals and projects for clients such as development banks, the European Commission and national governments. A candidate with enthusiasm for international travel would be well suited to this role.
The role is a mid-level position with responsibility for:
- Monitoring market developments and shaping company business development activities to take advantage of emerging opportunities.
- Development and maintenance of close client and partner relationships to support the winning of new business.
- Managing and contributing to complex proposals.
- Leading the delivery medium sized projects or tasks within large complex projects. This involves taking responsibility for client satisfaction, timely delivery, project financial management and high quality technical outputs.
- Leading and mentoring other staff in their involvement in bids and projects.
- Carrying out detailed technical work to contribute to high quality project delivery.
- Leading and participating in capacity building activities including workshop facilitation and presentation delivery.
- Presenting Ricardo Energy & Environment’s work at client meetings, workshops and seminars.
Key competencies and experience:
- Educated to at least Bachelor’s degree level specializing in scientific, engineering, environmental, legal or economic fields.
- Candidates must demonstrate sufficient experience to show the required competencies, either through consulting work or in a related area.
- Experience leading business development and/or competitive bid writing in a consultancy environment is essential.
- Experience working within multidisciplinary teams is essential, and experience managing large project teams is desirable.
- Previous experience managing or working within projects for clients such as the European Commission, World Bank, GIZ, EBRD, Asian Development Bank and UK Government would be desirable.
- Strong understanding of the energy and climate change policy landscape, gained during studies or work experience, in one or more of the following areas:
- International climate change negotiations especially the market mechanisms envisaged under the Paris Agreement.
- EU energy and climate change policy especially the measures implemented under the Energy Efficiency directive, EU Emissions Trading Directive and the Effort Sharing Regulation.
- UK low carbon initiatives especially the Clean Growth Strategy, Industrial strategy and decarbonisation policy measurers.
- Technical expertise gained through studies, training or work experience, in one or more of the following areas related to energy and climate change policy would be an advantage:
- Energy or emissions benchmarks and target setting.
- Monitoring reporting and verification.
- Economic modelling/analysis.
- Carbon market dynamics.
- Regulatory processes.
Skills and behaviours:
- Strong project/task management skills.
- Excellent written and spoken English essential; fluency in other European languages will be an advantage.
- Strong oral and written communication essential, including concise and precise report writing.
- Strong analytical skills essential.
- Good team worker and experienced delegator
- Strong level of commercial awareness and appreciation for project financial management principles
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.