Senior Terrestrial Ecologist (EcIA/HRA specialist)
- Role type
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
The Water & Environment practice of Ricardo Energy & Environment offers a comprehensive range of specialist services within the environmental consultancy sector. Nationally and internationally recognised for our expertise in planning and overseeing complex and sensitive projects, our skills have been utilised by a wide range of clients within the public and private sectors including the European Commission, government, water companies and developers.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Ecologist with a particular interest and experience in Ecological Impact Assessment (EcIA) and Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA) to help support and lead our growing ecological consultancy work. The post will be based in Manchester but will support projects throughout the UK and occasionally beyond.
The role will involve project management and implementation of ecological assessments, plus the coordination of associated surveys, consultation, mitigation in support of our clients’ proposals and operations. The production of high quality reports, including EcIAs, HRAs, Preliminary Ecological Appraisals, Species Reports and ecological input to Environmental Statements will be a key feature of the role. The post-holder will also be expected to apply for and oversee protected species licences for their areas of expertise. The post-holder will liaise with clients and prepare fee proposals. The post will also involve managing the technical work of more junior staff and sub-consultants, guided and supported by our Ecology Team Leaders.
Key competencies and experience:
- A first degree in a relevant subject, such as ecology or other biological sciences with a wildlife focus, and ideally a relevant postgraduate qualification.
- Full membership of CIEEM, and ideally chartered (e.g. CEnv or CEcol)
- Relevant experience in ecological impact assessment in support of EIA
- Relevant experience of HRA
- Experience of planning and conducting ecological surveys, including Phase 1 habitat survey and protected species surveys and providing mitigation recommendations.
- At least one protected species survey licence.
- Experience of applying for and holding licenses for protected species mitigation/conservation would be an advantage.
- Excellent report writing skills, including survey reports and Environmental Statement chapters
- A good understanding of wildlife legislation, the planning process, EIA and Habitats Regulations Assessment.
- A track-record of successful project management.
- Experience in the preparation of ecology proposals and tenders.
- Experience of ecological assessment for the water sector would be an advantage.
- A full UK driver’s license would also be an advantage.
Skills and behaviours:
- You must be a self-starter, comfortable working in a small and very busy team.
- Excellent team working skills are therefore essential together with strong communication skills, sound understanding of ecological impact assessment and a close attention to detail.
- Whilst fieldwork skills are needed for this role, there will be a large component of office-based coordination, data analysis, client contact and report writing.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.