Australian Business Development Sector Lead
- Role type
Do you want to work for a leading environmental sustainability consultancy in a growing specialist team?
Ricardo have recently established a registered entity in Australia and have a detailed medium to long term strategy to expand our consultancy support services in country across many practice technical areas. Following a successful exploration phase over the past year and due to an increasing visible pipeline, Ricardo Energy & Environment have decided to invest in expanding our consultancy service offering into Australia building on our market leading reputation offering in Europe.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has vacancies for excellent candidates to join this newly established Australian Waste Management Team leading business development activities in one of our three core areas 1) Due Diligence & Expert Witness Services Team, 2) Waste Operations & Procurement Team 3) Circular Economy Team. Reporting through the Infrastructure & Utilities Director and our Australia Country Lead, you will be part of our established Resource Efficiency & Waste Management Practice, but leading business development activities across Australia. You would work closely with our Australian country lead, technical experts within the Resource Efficiency & Waste Management Practice and with other in-house experts, including in renewable energy and energy transmission, air quality modelling and assessment, water & environmental quality, sustainable transport and chemical risk to make a tangible difference to our established clients and to contribute to further developing our client base.
The Waste Management Team has over 40 years of experience in the development of waste management and resource efficiency solutions primarily in the UK but increasingly international clients including Governments, local authorities and the private sector. We are a recognised market leader in the provision of waste management and resource efficiency solutions within the UK and a growing reputation globally and have routinely worked on International waste management, engineering and strategy projects throughout the world.
Our specialist team includes internationally recognised experts and leaders in their fields. The team includes some 130 experts dedicated to the provision of tailored, cost-effective solutions that enhance the environment.
We are looking for excellent candidates who are commercially astute, and who can provide broad waste consultancy technical advice so that they can understand the client’s needs and possible solutions, but also manage and/or deliver research or engineering based projects with the support of the relevant technical specialists from the appropriate discipline.
We recognise that all applicants are unique, and we operate in a fast-moving commercial environment, therefore we will seek to understand your skills, experience and career objectives in order to define a role around you that fits within our overall requirements and services. You will form part of an established team, but equally thrive with an appropriate level of autonomy. We are interested in ambitious, highly motivated, energetic applicants, at Senior Consultant, Principal Consultant and Technical Director level, and with the drive to grow and develop themselves and our wider team.
- deliver the objectives of the Australia business plan and support the Australian country lead to achieve targets identified within this business plan;
- in collaboration with the Australian country lead, engage in marketing, sales, and opportunity qualification across Australia for the public and private sector;
- contributing to winning new business, including with new clients, taking a key role in or leading the preparation of proposals;
- contributing to and leading technical assessments across a wide range of waste and resource management activities;
- undertake the role of project manager or project director across a wide range of projects within your business area;
- identify and undertake relevant public speaking opportunities across Australia to fulfill your role.
Key competencies and experience:
- demonstrable experience and knowledge of the Australian waste market;
- proven track record in either environmental consultancy or engineering operations;
- have a good network of contacts across Australia at a management and/or operational level;
- ability to identify and convert opportunities;
- able to write clear, concise and accurate technical reports and manage data confidently;
- qualified to master’s level in a relevant discipline (e.g. waste management, environmental management, engineering) and/or Chartered Waste Manager, Environmentalist or Engineer;
- excellent interpersonal skills, attention to detail and desire to deliver influential consultancy support to the highest standards with new and current clients;
- a recognized specialist within your technical area in Australia
- demonstrable experience and knowledge of the UK/EU waste market;
- experienced in contributing to or leading technical and/or market/commercial due diligence assessments for developers, lenders, intermediaries or procuring authorities (Due Diligence Sector lead);
- experienced in contributing to or leading waste policy/strategy development, and/or market assessments, and/or business case support and/or technical support for public or private sector/SME clients (Circular Economy Sector lead);
- has supported local authorities in making service changes and improvements to waste management and recycling services and providing advice on service design and delivery and/or procurement / infrastructure development (Waste Operations Sector lead);
- an excellent understanding of collection and treatment systems, business cases, completing options appraisals, and/or supporting with system design and implementation (Waste Operations Sector lead);
- confident in speaking at conferences or industry events
- willingness to travel/work in different states of Australia/overseas for short periods of e.g. 1-2 weeks
Skills and behaviours:
- commercially minded technical consultant;
- ability to identify and convert new opportunities;
- receptive to new and varied challenges, and able to rise to them and to learn;
- able to work independently and as part of a project team, irrespective of position or role on the task;
- able to network and communicate new ideas and solutions;
- excellent attention to detail and accuracy and quality in all work;
- good time management; and
- able to meet (multiple) deadlines and manage and deliver competing priorities.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
Our Waste Management Team comprises three specialist Business Areas that work very closely together. These are: Due Diligence & Expert Witness Services, Waste Operations & Procurement, and Circular Economy. We currently have opportunities in all three Business Areas.
In return for your commitment, drive, enthusiasm and adaptability, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field, and support for flexible working. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.