- Role type
- Closing Date
Position Title: Infrastructure Consultant
Department: Ricardo Certification Iberia
Reporting to: Team Leader
Reference No: Infrastructure Consultant - SPAIN
Ricardo is a global strategic, technical and environmental consultancy and specialist niche manufacturer of high performance products. We also provide independent assurance services in the rail sector. With a century of delivering excellence and innovation, we employ over 2,500 professional engineers, consultants and scientists worldwide.
Our activities cover a range of market sectors including passenger car, commercial vehicle, rail, defence, motorsport, motorcycle, off-highway, marine, clean energy and power generation.
Our client list includes the world’s major transportation equipment manufacturers, supply chain organisations, energy companies, financial institutions and government agencies.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
Ricardo Rail is a multi-discipline rail consultancy providing services in expert advice and independent assurance across the UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia where we employ c500 consultants working on rolling stock, infrastructure and independent assurance projects.
Ricardo Certification Iberia is a small company (c7 consultants) based in Madrid who win and deliver independent assurance projects in Spain and around the world, either assessment of products, the application of system, or working on other projects across Ricardo where their expertise is required. Whilst the work directly contracted Ricardo Certification Iberia is certification and assessment work, the work for Ricardo more generally can be railway (and sometimes non-railway) consultancy and design, which engineers are encouraged to participate in.
Ricardo provides consultancy and independent assurance services, including NoBo, DeBo, AsBo and ISA, across signalling, infrastructure and rolling stock to clients including infrastructure managers, train manufacturers, equipment manufacturers and maintainers.
Our shared goal is to be the natural choice provider of expert advice and independent assurance services to the global rail industry. Care, integrity and excellence will always drive our long-term relationships with clients and colleagues.
Due to continued growth, we are now looking to strengthen our infrastructure assessment capability and to lead the growth of this business area and support the delivery of existing and new projects. The role we are seeking to fill is that of an Infrastructure Consultant to support our Consultancy and Independent Assurance business areas.
The role we are seeking to fill is that of an Infrastructure Consultant, this will be heavily weighted towards business development and ensuring the sales funnel is maintained and that Ricardo target the correct opportunities in this segment of the market.
As we also undertake assurance work you will be required to review and assess compliance with standards such as the Infrastructure TSI, Safety on Railway Tunnels TSI and Spanish infrastructure National Technical Rules, and also independently review safety risk assessments.
You will also perform risk assessments and deliver CSM safety engineering project work which will require you to have a good knowledge of railway infrastructure systems such as track, tunnels, signalling or electrification/civils.
In addition, you will be required to deliver project work to clients and should, therefore, possess a technical engineering competence relevant to infrastructure assurance, for example, signalling, electrification, track engineering and also be able to manage the delivery of projects including management of finances, timescales, commercial, technical and quality aspects.
Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Provide expertise and advice to Ricardo Certification, Ricardo Rail and external clients on good engineering practice, potential solutions, railway standards, EU and Spanish Legislation.
- Support and contribute to the delivery of projects, including attending meetings with clients and other stakeholders such ENAC, ADIF, Metro Madrid, etc.
- Liaise with consultants and contractors on project issues, and interface with clients on both a technical and contractual matters.
- Manage and lead projects as required, controlling budgets, quality and of deliverables and working with resource managers to utilise the right people.
- Develop proposals and undertake business development activities to enhance client relationships and secure further work to achieve sales targets.
- Interface with domain experts from other disciplines within Ricardo, for Railway Operations, Rolling Stock and Power Supply.
- Oversee and review the work of other consultants, including taking responsibility for their technical development if required.
- Manage infrastructure and assurance projects with responsibility for delivering to timescale, quality and budget and manage the client relationship.
- Lead the assurance (NoBo//AsBo/ISA) independent safety assessment services on projects.
- Represent Ricardo Certification at industry events and committees.
- Maintain your own competence and knowledge at the forefront of the railway signalling industry.
- Degree educated in a suitable engineering discipline
- Chartered Engineer or equivalent through a relevant professional institution, or able to achieve depending on experience
Technical expertise & skills required:
- business development and client management experience
- expereince of of one or more rail discipline:
Signalling and Railway Control systems (including ETCS/ERTMS)
- Project Management, from proposal to project closure.
- Application of applicable standards (including railway standards, Spain and EU Rail Regulations including the Infrastructure TSI and Safety on Railway Tunnels TSI).
- Safety engineering (The Yellow Book, Common Safety Methods for Risk Assessment and equivalent) and EN50126/8/9.
- Analytical and methodical .
- A visible passion for the rail industry.
- Versatile and adaptable, able to operate under pressure.
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal, Spanish and English language written and spoken.
- Flexibility to travel in Spain and short durations overseas if required.