- Role type
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Chemical Risk Practice Overview:
Our National Chemical Emergency Centre (NCEC) is the UK’s premier chemical emergency response centre and is recognised as a leading global provider for technical advice with over 40 years of heritage – setup originally in 1973 and still grant funded by Government for our support to the emergency services.
Today NCEC has a global client base with many of the world's top 100 chemical manufacturers as well as many other public and private sector clients. Customers come to us for our technical expertise combined with the unique systems and processes that allow us to provide a global 24-hour multilingual emergency response helpline.
In pursuit of our growth plans we are looking for an Operations Consultant to manage elements of the delivery of our emergency response service.
The Operations Consultant role works across the whole of the Emergency Response business area. Its aim is to support the delivery of the Emergency Response product through ensuring that the systems and processes used are both fit for purpose and reliable.
There are two key elements to the role, the first is focused on the day-to-day operations and the Operations Consultant will work on our in-house systems in order to maintain and develop the service and work closely with the customer service and emergency response teams to achieve this. In order to deliver our service, we work with a number of subcontractors and it is expected that the Operations Consultant would be the lead on maintaining and developing our subcontractor relationships.
The second focus of the role is future development, where the Operations Consultant would be responsible for identifying, scoping and implementing changes and improvements that will help us to maintain our position as a premium provider of emergency response.
- Create and develop an operations plan including continuous improvement elements for a 365/24/7 helpline-based operations centre.
- Ensure availability of suitable systems to support resilient operations, e.g.: equipment, IT facilities, networks and databases;
- Ensure adequate maintenance and development of operational systems in line with user and market needs;
- Ensure there is a suitable high-level plan for selecting, management of subcontractors including appropriate quality and cost controls;
- Ensure suitable levels of contingency planning to manage planned and unplanned outages, together with the relevant written materials, training and exercising components;
- Act as the go-to-person for queries relating to NCEC’s new (due for launch in 2019) database supporting delivery of its emergency response services, including identification of user needs, routine maintenance and development, functionality improvement, development of reporting capability;
- Conduct follow-up investigation of calls received on NCEC’s emergency line, particularly where instigated by client query or complaint;
- Work with the ER team manager to identify processes for emergency call handling and ensure systems capability reflects these needs;
- Conduct basic financial reporting from the cost-management database under the guidance of the Head of Operations.
Key competencies and experience:
- Appreciation of a call centre / helpline / IT service environment, based on experience in similar roles, especially if gained in an emergency response context
- Some knowledge of IT and / or telephony networks/databases in a call centre / helpline environment
- Good level of IT literacy and numeracy skills
- Experience of project delivery possibly including subcontractor liaison and financial reporting
Skills and behaviours:
- Good team orientation and strong team working
- Methodical approach with good problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a sometimes fast-paced environment on a variety of tasks including reaction to occasional urgent client requests
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.