Human Factors Senior Consultant
- Role type
- Bristol, Derby, London
- Closing Date
Position Title: Human Factors Consultant
Department: Ricardo Rail UK
We are seeking a driven and motivated individual who has a real passion for human factors to work in our London, Bristol or Derby offices.
This human factors consultant will support delivery of projects across a range of transportation areas including operations, design, civils’ work and assurance. The work will focus on the breadth of opportunities within the rail industry but also capitalise on Ricardo’s service offering in other transportation and environment sectors.
As a leading consultant you will work on the business development and delivery of projects providing expert advice to clients and colleagues, as required.
The job will require knowledge of appropriate human factors methods, legislation and governing documents to ensure our clients are supported with managing the risk to safety and operations.
As a project manager for relevant projects within your area of expertise, you will be required to manage the delivery of your own work to the client and that of others within the team to timescale, cost and quality.
Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- To develop a client base in the rail transportation sector through marketing and sales activities
- To develop opportunities and win work
- Work with clients to understand ultimate objectives and desired outcomes for each project.
- As part of a team, lead and deliver specific work packages to quality, time and budget.
- Manage projects and deliver work-streams, taking direction from the Project Director when required. Ensure that the work scope of work and time budgets are clear, monitored and managed, and that risks to delivering to quality, on time and within budget against acceptance criteria are anticipated and managed. Initiate timely and accurate invoicing so that invoicing targets are met. Ensure overall client satisfaction targets are met throughout the project lifecycle.
- Manage and deliver proposals, identifying potential risks, devising the approach, specifying clear acceptance criteria, resourcing and costs.
- Take the commercial lead for projects and proposals.
- Contribute to the human factors professional development of Ricardo staff
Qualifications / Experience:
- Human Factors / Occupational Psychology degree qualified
- Chartered through a relevant institution, or able to achieve depending on experience
- The following experience would be ideal:
- Working with key clients in the rail industry
- Minimum 3 years working within the rail sector
- Application of human factors techniques during design, implementation and in-service projects
- Conversant with relevant UK rail industry governance documents and best practice
- The following experience would be desirable:
- Demonstration of professional excellence through the publication of papers and/or delivery of work at conferences would be desirable
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) skills
- Requirements management through software packages
Ricardo is a global strategic, technical and environmental consultancy and specialist niche manufacturer of high performance products. We also provide independent assurance services in the rail sector. With a century of delivering excellence and innovation, we employ over 2,500 professional engineers, consultants and scientists world-wide.
Our activities cover a range of market sectors including passenger car, commercial vehicle, rail, defence, motorsport, motorcycle, off-highway, marine, clean energy and power generation.
Our client list includes the world’s major transportation original equipment manufacturers, supply chain organisations, energy companies, financial institutions and government agencies.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
Ricardo Rail is a global multi-disciplinary rail consultancy providing services in expert advice and independent assurance across the UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia where we employ c500 consultants working on rolling stock, infrastructure and independent assurance projects.
Our UK Rail business employs c120 consultants in offices in London, Preston, York, Bristol and Derby, which is our head office.
We provide consultancy and independent assurance services across infrastructure and rolling stock to clients including infrastructure managers, train manufacturers, equipment manufacturers, operators and maintainers. Our work also extends to other transportation industries such as aviation, light rail and buses.
Our shared goal is to be the natural choice provider of expert advice and independent assurance services to the global rail industry. Care, integrity and excellence will always drive our long-term relationships with clients and colleagues.
Due to continued growth we are now looking to strengthen our human factors to support the delivery of existing and new projects.