Software Developer (LAMP, Drupal 7/8, Symfony)
- Role type
- London, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
- Closing Date
Ricardo is a leading energy and environmental consultancy that works with governments, international donors and the private sector to reduce the impacts of climate change and enable sustainable business growth.
Ricardo’s digital solutions, products and services are fundamental in helping our business grow and adapt whilst fulfil evolving customer requirements. The Digital Solutions team work in collaboration with Ricardo’s wide range of internationally recognised experts and scientists, creating new and innovative solutions to tackle some of the world’s most pressing challenges.
You will have a strong background in PHP and help us build and support data-intensive web applications for Ricardo Energy & Environment’s public and private sector clients. The successful candidate will be an accomplished developer who is comfortable working on a portfolio of projects, both supporting and enhancing existing applications as well as creating new systems.
Our ideal candidate will have strong software development skills, excellent organisational skills and be an enthusiastic contributor to our team.
As part of the team you will have opportunities to work on a wide variety of digital projects and technically challenging work. Examples of our work include:
- Enterprise grade software applications that consist of real-time data collection, ratification and dynamic reporting features for national and international air quality and energy management systems that have been developed by our Digital Services team from the ground up.
- Workflow data management systems that have helped improve the efficiency and operation of large scale programmes for clients including Ofgem, Big Lottery and Department for Transport
- Industry leading emergency response solutions, for the National Chemical Emergency Centre. Our software helps emergency responders to quickly identify the correct procedure to be followed in the event of an incident involving hazardous materials, helping customers and the emergency services to save lives 24/7/365.
- Building PHP software and web applications in a commercial environment using a well-known MVC framework (eg Symfony or Zend)
- Designing MySQL and/or PostGres databases
- Writing scalable and secure code using software design patterns and automated tests
- Building websites based on Drupal (version 7 and 8)
- Using versioning systems (Git), task, test and release management tools
- Working collaboratively with software and non-software professionals
Key competencies and experience:
- Experience of:
- System architecture (including SOA/microservices)
- R, Python, Perl
- SilverStripe CMS
- Mentoring or training experience
- Commercial product development
- Agile development processes
- IT or computer science degree is desirable
Skills and behaviours:
- Well organised, with the ability to accurately estimate effort and deliver high quality code
- Works well with others, with good face-to-face communication skills
- Has passion, motivation and can easily adapt to learn and apply new technologies
- Commercially aware
- Able to contribute to our technology strategy and grow our digital capability
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, flexible working, and the opportunity to make a difference in a competitive and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.