Software Developer (LAMP, Drupal 7/8, Symfony)
- Role type
- Bristol, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
- Closing Date
Ricardo is a leading environmental consultancy that works with Governments, international donors and the private sector to reduce the impacts of climate change and enable sustainable business growth. Ricardo’s digital services team play a fundamental role in helping our clients meet complex data management challenges, bringing strategic insight and understanding to a variety of environmental data issues.
The Digital Services team work in collaboration with Ricardo’s wide range of internationally recognised experts and scientists, across a number of sectors to create new and innovative solutions to tackle some of the world’s most pressing challenges.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career development aspirations, with reward and recognition for demonstrating our company values.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, flexible working, and the opportunity to make a difference in a competitive and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.
To be considered for this role you will have a strong background in backend web development, using Open Source tech. You’ll have the ability to help us build and support data-intensive websites and web portal applications. The successful candidate will be an accomplished developer who is comfortable working on a portfolio of projects, both supporting and enhancing existing applications as well as creating new systems. Your involvement will be either as part of a team building or supporting client software or as part of our innovation team developing some exciting new product ideas.
Our ideal candidate will have strong backend software development skills, a self-starter and demonstrate an enthusiasm for contributing to our team, approach and clients.
As part of the team you will have opportunities to work on a wide variety of digital projects and technically challenging work. Examples of our work include:
- Enterprise grade software applications that consist of real-time data collection, ratification and dynamic reporting features for national and international air quality and energy management systems that have been developed by our Digital Services team from the ground up.
- Workflow data management systems that have helped improve the efficiency and operation of large scale programmes for clients including Ofgem, Big Lottery and Department for Transport
- Industry leading emergency response solutions, for the National Chemical Emergency Centre. Our software helps emergency responders to quickly identify the correct procedure to be followed in the event of an incident involving hazardous materials, helping customers and the emergency services to save lives 24/7/365.
Key accountabilities, competencies and experience:
- Building PHP (OOP) software and web applications in a commercial environment using a well-known MVC framework (eg Symfony, Laravel or Zend)
- Designing MySQL and/or PostGres databases
- Writing scalable and secure code using software design patterns and automated tests
- Building websites based on Drupal (version 7 and 8)
- Using versioning systems (Git),
- Experience using JIRA and Confluence
- Working collaboratively with software and non-software professionals
- Agile development
- Well organised, with the ability to accurately estimate effort and deliver high quality code
- Works well with others, with good face-to-face communication skills
- Has passion, motivation and can easily adapt to learn and apply new technologies
- Commercially aware
Desirable skills, experience and qualifications:
- Experience/ knowledge of:
- System architecture (including SOA/microservices)
- Strangler Patterns
- R, Python, GIS
- CMS software including Silverstripe
- Mentoring or training experience
- Commercial product development
- IT or computer science degree is desirable, but not essential
- Able to contribute to our technology strategy and grow our digital capability