- Role type
- Closing Date
At Ricardo Energy & Environment we help Governments and businesses across the world address environmental challenges through our world leading consultancy expertise and innovative technical solutions. We combine energy and climate change, air quality, resource efficiency, sustainable transport and chemical risk expertise with our strong IT capability. We’ve got some ambitious growth plans and we’re looking for a talented and motivated DevOps Engineer to join our team, supporting our development team with a range of important projects, systems and processes.
This is an important role for the business, and an integral part of the Digital Services development team. We are looking to expand our DevOps team over time and this role will be the catalyst for that.
You will provide technical support for the development team and various Ricardo Energy & Environment project teams. As new technologies emerge and impact our systems, you will be expected to learn these technologies and help resolve issues and challenges through automation, process efficiency improvements and continuous integration practices.
- Monitoring our suite of 40+ servers for stability and taking both proactive and reactive measures to correct and prevent issues.
- Responsible for maintaining the integrity and security of servers and systems used for Ricardo Energy & Environment managed projects and services and troubleshoots networks, systems, and applications to identify and correct malfunctions and other operational problems.
- Installing, configuring, and maintaining services such as Apache and MySQL across all servers.
- Applying patches and updates on a monthly cycle
- Checking logs and monitoring the virtual environment
- Monitoring and maintenance of backups
- Identifying and negating security threats
- Daily checks across a large suite of applications
- Problem resolution via ticketing system
- Creating virtual hosts
- Making and suggesting improvements to our virtual infrastructure
- Backup, restore, user and privilege configuration
- DNS configuration
- SSL installation
- User access administration for developers
Key competencies and experience:
- A background in UNIX OS, preferably with Linux/UNIX server administration
- Working with cloud infrastructure/ virtual environments
- Continuous integration/ Configuration Management
- Automated deployment processes
- Ability to trouble shoot website and server issues at the application and infrastructure level
- Advanced knowledge of the Linux operating system.
- Knowledge of Shell/bash and Perl scripting.
- Advanced knowledge of Apache.
- Understanding of PHP, MySQL , MariaDb, XML and HTML
- Background in CentOS
Skills and behaviours:
- Experience in server migration exercises
- Experience with GeoServer/ GeoNetworks
- Working knowledge using iSCSI
- Working knowledge and experience of RedHat
- Experience and/or knowledge of the Zend Framework
- Experience maintaining servers for standard Internet services such as DNS, NFS, DHCP, printing and FTP
- Working on command line
- Exposure to Puppet/Snort/Spacewalk
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work well within a team in a fast paced, constantly changing environment
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Dependable to complete work as expected to a high standard
- Ability and motivation to learn new technologies
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer