Principal Consultant - International Climate Action Planning and/or Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV)
- Role type
- Contract, Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Utrecht, Wantage, Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire (Harwell), North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW) Germany, Manchester, Madrid, London, Guildford, Glasgow, Flexible, Bristol
- Closing Date
We welcome applications if you are interested in a permament opportunity, alternatively, if you are interested in providing temporary support to projects on an associate basis we are happy to hear from you too.
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work
You will contribute to and have a leading role in project delivery and business development in the rapidly developing areas of International Climate Action Planning – particularly at sub-national level, and International Climate Action Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV). The primary focus of your role will be to contribute to capacity building around MRV (greenhouse gas inventories, mitigation actions, support), for national and city governments, and the design and implementation of climate action plans and MRV systems, or elements thereof. This will include International travel. We have recently completed or are currently carrying out projects in a wide range of countries in South America, Africa and Asia. You will contribute to both the delivery of this existing work and supporting the development of future climate action planning and MRV projects we undertake in this arena.
You will also be instrumental in project acquisition, as well as delivery and will work with experienced colleagues, as part of an established business area to implement a clear business development plan.
In all aspects of this role, you will work as part of a cross-disciplinary team of consultants, drawing on and contributing expertise with colleagues specialising in policy development and assessment, environmental monitoring and other areas.
Key competencies and experience:
- Educated to at least degree level, or equivalent qualification, in a numerate/scientific subject;
- Experience of working with MRV methodologies, climate action planning, or a closely related area, ideally related to capacity building and/or system design, at city and/or national level
- Experience in designing and conducting training
- Experience working in different cultural environments
- Willingness to travel overseas on a regular basis
- Higher degree in a numerate/scientific subject
- Fluency in a second language is an advantage
- Experience and knowledge of methods for the estimation of GHG emissions and reductions
- Experience of working in a consultancy environment
Skills and behaviours:
The successful candidate will:
- Be able to contribute as part of cross-disciplinary teams
- Have a positive attitude to new challenges and to working in a consultancy environment
- Flexibility to work across a number of business areas
If you have good technical skills, possess excellent communication skills, have a keen interest to deepen your expertise in a range of environmental science topics, are driven and proactive then we would welcome your application.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive remuneration and benefits package and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment strives to be an equal opportunities employer.