Waste Management & Regulation Consultant
- Role type
- Flexible, London, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
- Closing Date
Do you want to work for a leading environmental sustainability consultancy in a growing specialist team?
Ricardo Energy & Environment has vacancies for excellent candidates to join our Waste Management Due Diligence & Expert Witness Services Team and our Waste Operations & Procurement Team. Reporting through the Infrastructure & Utilities Director, and being part of our established Resource Efficiency & Waste Management Practice, you would work closely with other in-house experts, including in renewable energy and energy transmission, air quality modelling and assessment, water & environmental quality, sustainable transport and chemical risk to make a tangible difference to our established clients and to contribute to further developing our client base.
Our Waste Management Team supports investors, developers (including procuring authorities), operators and regulators of waste management and waste to energy infrastructure, including through legal advisors and other transaction intermediaries, at all stages of the project lifecycle. Based in the UK, Ricardo Energy & Environment operates across the world, working in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Our specialist Team comprises recognised experts with a range of backgrounds, providing tailored support to clients in technical, market, commercial and regulatory advice and due diligence, expert opinion, procurement, operational and compliance support, site-based infrastructure delivery services, and a broad range of technical and regulatory consultancy services covering all types of wastes, waste derived materials, and biomass, and the full range of waste treatment and recovery technologies. We primarily provide advice to UK projects but are successfully growing our client base internationally, in Europe, Australia, the Middle East, and South East Asia.
We are looking for excellent candidates who can provide broad consultancy advice covering some or all of the above areas and add further to the resilience and agility of our existing team. We recognise that all applicants are unique, and we operate in a fast moving commercial environment, therefore we will seek to understand your skills, experience and career objectives in order to define a role around you that fits within our overall requirements and services. You will form part of an established team, but equally thrive with an appropriate level of autonomy. We are interested in ambitious, highly motivated, energetic applicants, at Senior Consultant and Principal Consultant level, and with the drive to grow and develop themselves and our wider team.
- contributing to and leading technical assessments across a wide range of waste and resource management activities, including technical and/or market/commercial due diligence studies;
- acting as, or to having the potential to be mentored in order to act as, a named expert witness in relation to criminal cases involving the performance of waste facilities or illegal waste management activities;
- inputting to marketing, sales, and opportunity qualification; and
- contributing to winning new business, including with new clients, in the UK and internationally, including taking a key role in or leading the preparation of proposals
Key competencies and experience:
- proven track record in environmental consultancy;
- able to write clear, concise and accurate technical reports and manage data confidently;
- qualified to masters level in a relevant discipline (e.g. environmental management, engineering) and/or Chartered Waste Manager or Environmentalist or Engineer;
- excellent interpersonal skills, attention to detail and desire to deliver influential consultancy support to the highest standards with new and current clients;
- demonstrable experience and knowledge of the UK waste market and UK/EU waste regulation and regulatory compliance and permitting;
- experienced in contributing to or leading technical and/or market/commercial due diligence assessments for developers, lenders, intermediaries or procuring authorities;
- experienced as an expert witness, or to have the potential and commitment to be mentored in order to act as a named expert witness;
- experienced in waste operations, procurement and/or infrastructure development;
- interest/experience in international waste consultancy and opportunities to apply UK experience to support international clients, including a willingness to travel and work overseas for short periods of e.g. 1-2 weeks
Skills and behaviours:
- commercially minded technical consultant;
- receptive to new and varied challenges, and able to rise to them and to learn;
- able to work independently and as part of a project team, irrespective of position or role on the task;
- excellent attention to detail and accuracy and quality in all work;
- good time management; and
- able to meet (multiple) deadlines and manage and deliver competing priorities
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
Our Waste Management Team comprises three specialist Business Areas that work very closely together. These are: Due Diligence & Expert Witness Services, Waste Operations & Procurement, and Circular Economy. We currently have opportunities within both our Due Diligence & Expert Witness Services and Waste Operations & Procurement Business Areas.
In return for your commitment, drive, enthusiasm and adaptability, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field, and support for flexible working. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.